Over and Under Rated Baits

DE6

Guest Chris Perch
Chris P,

Ha ha ! I would have typed just the opposite for those two. (not saying I'm right though)

Phone

Any of the popular baits of modern - and old days are good fish catchers on thier day i think i have tried them all (apart from slugs ugh)and caught on most of them and if you have a red letter day on one particular bait it becomes higher on your priorities and spends more time on the end of your line hence the reason most people have thier own faviorite baits.

The basis of me thinking tiger nuts are great is last year i fished a medium carp lake with about 40 fish in it and hammered them on tiger nuts on short evening sessions - while a friend of mine couldnt get a bite on one.???

Quote matt hayes "Different strokes for different Folks"

"Prawns whole Half or peeled ace summer tench bait"

Edited by Chris Perch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under-rated - Prawns. A big confidence bait for me. Also bread, which you hardly ever see used these days. Both are great fish catchers.

Over-rated - Boilies. If you believe the hype, then you'd never catch without them. In the old days, when a bait was blown you moved on to another, not just to a new flavour. I really don't understand boiliemania, except as an exercise in marketing. Don't get me wrong, they're useful on occasion (I usually carry some 10mm Ringer's white shellfish), just not as a nothing-else-will-do wonderbait.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Guest Chris Perch
Under-rated - Prawns. A big confidence bait for me. Also bread, which you hardly ever see used these days. Both are great fish catchers.

Over-rated - Boilies. If you believe the hype, then you'd never catch without them. In the old days, when a bait was blown you moved on to another, not just to a new flavour. I really don't understand boiliemania, except as an exercise in marketing. Don't get me wrong, they're useful on occasion (I usually carry some 10mm Ringer's white shellfish), just not as a nothing-else-will-do wonderbait.

I remember last year going to the carp show in brentwood and Gary Bayes (Nashbait) said some of his customers will go in and buy 100 kilos of one particular boilie :blink: - Thats total single mindedness putting all your hopes on one particular bait.

Theres more to Carp fishing than just boilies!

I remember last year going to the carp show in brentwood and Gary Bayes (Nashbait) said some of his customers will go in and buy 100 kilos of one particular boilie :blink: - Thats total single mindedness putting all your hopes on one particular bait.

Theres more to Carp fishing than just boilies!

Surely, in waters where carp rarely see another bait, an alternative will be seen as less suspicious. It's just tunnel vision, isn't it? Part of belonging to the "carp club", where ultra-cult is the name of the game. I think we can all be rightly accused of being single-minded at times, but the mega-baiting boilie bashers abuse the privilege.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Over-rated: boilies, quick bait for lazy anglers. Poor bait for new anglers. Pitifull performance on commercials. A carp will pick anything up eventually

Under-rated: Pink plastic corn - legendary (don't tell anyone though)

Think i could have predicted boilies would have got lots of mentions for being an over rated bait. Strange thing is they've nearly always been a lucky bait for me, but then i don't fish commercials or for carp much.

So much depends on how where and when you use a bait that i don't really think i would like to draw up a list of over and under rated baits as it seems to me that most baits can have their day.

ps. I don't think I've ever gone fishing with just boilies in my bag, but i know i have with both bread and maggots.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

And not a single mention of mouse paste - erm, until now.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.