• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chris Perch
I would like to know what is the biggest fish you have caught

on a size 20 hook ?

thanks

Great white - still playing it on my pole and no 5 elastic :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

on a size 20 hook ?

thanks

I've had a 6lb chub on a size 20 - trotting for dace at the time!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

wefish,

Maybe - just maybe a 6in brook trout. Not sure because it wasn't my fly. I don't think I've ever owned a 20. Even our flys are "donkey chokers" by UK standards.

Phone

Elton sent me a pack of smallish hooks - #20 or #22 or possibly #24. I thought the pack was empty until I got a magnifying glass and had a look. I didn't have any gear suitable for using them (or any clue how to attach the hook to a line) so never used any of them.

I think a #10 is the smallest hook I've ever used other than whatever might have been part of a fly with an eye large enough to tie on.

Is there a particular reason you want to know? Possibly you've caught a monster on a #20 or hope to catch one and wonder if the hook will be up to the task.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

17lb 6oz carp on a spliced-tip match rod, 1lb bottom, fine wire 20.

I didn't so much play it as baffle it, really. I thought I was snagged up under the rod tip until it moved (I'd been undoing a tangle so it was a proper fluke).

It's debatable whether it knew it was hooked; it just went round in circles in the margins for an hour or so and then gave up.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

17lb 6oz carp on a spliced-tip match rod, 1lb bottom, fine wire 20.

I didn't so much play it as baffle it, really. I thought I was snagged up under the rod tip until it moved (I'd been undoing a tangle so it was a proper fluke).

It's debatable whether it knew it was hooked; it just went round in circles in the margins for an hour or so and then gave up.

thanks for your replys

the reason i asked is because i dont have much confidence in a size 20 and i thought may be i was wrong

seems like i was wrong

thanks

If you want confidence in tackle you need to experiment with it.

Here's one to try - thread up a rod and tie a loop where you normally tie a hook, now attach the loop onto some scales, either fix the scales somewhere or get someone to hold them, now see how much (or to be more precise how little) you can pull the scales down whilst keeping a bend in the rod.

on a size 20 hook ?

thanks

Yesterday the angler in the adjacent peg caught a 3/12lb Tench on 20 with a single red maggot.

I was a bit peeved because earlier I'd caught a 2lb Tinca on a 16 and thought I was doing well.

:-P

T

Tony