Your most embarrassing angling moment?

AddictedToScopex

So I was down at a lake this weekend doing some easy fishing, as my mate wanted an easy day out, and I witnessed a few embarrassing moments.

First of all was the absolute highlight of the day. There were a bunch of typical loud mouthed 'yoofs' at the end of the lake generally being loud and being a nuisance. One of them kept climbing down the bank to mess about with his net and put fish back. The next thing you know he is windmilling his arms in typical cartoon unbalanced fashion and trying his best not to go head over heel into the lake. Despite his finest saturday night fever moves he plunged head first into the lake with a loud splash that resulted in everyone around the lake **** themselves laughing. It really was hilarious and I have to say it was well deserved. The lad climbed out soaking wet and got an absolute roasting from his mates and a few others around the lakes. He looked like a drowned rat. needless to say him and his mates packed up within about 15 minutes of the incident. I doubt he will live that one down for quite some time.

The next thing was done by a mate of mine. He had been sat fishing the tip like me but also had a carp rod set up behind him on a bait runner. He got a run after a few hours and went to strike but didnt switch his bait runner off and the characteristic whizzing noise echoed around the lake as he struck and caused a huge overrun. Needless to say there were a couple of chuckles and a red face. He didnt hook the fish and ended up having to untangle a right mess of line. I digged him about it for a while until I did the exact same thing fishing the tip. I had put my bait runner on for a second to look behind me for my drink. As I got a bite and struck I made the whizzing noise with my own reel and felt a proper cock. Luckily I didnt set the baitrunner too loose so didnt get the big over run that he had got. Still felt a proper plonker though. The worst thing is that I did this another 4 times throughout the day! It was a proper noddy day. Me and my buddy still caught more than the whole lake put together which kind of made up for it but it was still embarrassing nonetheless.

So what embarrassing stories do you guys have. There must be loads. ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds all too familiar!

I took my brother in law to an easy lake as he wanted to catch some easy fish. I was fishing the pole and shipped the whole lot in to fiddle with something (can't remember what). So the full pole length was lying on the ground behind me with the rig in the water about six inches from the bank. Cue the inevitable, a decent fish takes the bait, the pole shoots towards the lake, I just grab the end as it disappears into the lake, result!

Unfortunately in my effort to get to the pole quickly I over balance and dive head first into the lake, and apparently disappeared under the water for a second or two. Being made of stout stuff I fished on, soaking wet and freezing half to death for the rest of the day. My shiny new mobile phone didn't enjoy the swim and is now an expensive paper weight, and I didn't land the fish. On the brighter side, I didn't lose my pole and the fiver in my wallet survived!

My brother in law has never stopped laughing about that, luckily my sister divorced him so I don't have to endure the mocking anymore!

Rich

Not checking my mainline for abrasion one year, post-Wingham. Sat chatting to a passer-by when the alarm on the rod in the margins went off. Picked it up, struck, was immediately smashed with nothing but a little patch of abraded nylon to tell the tale.

I walked in to a lake before while playing a big cat fish in Thailand, steep margin and just stepped out and went straight under :D

I have no idea why, I did not slip or loose my balance and was aware I was standing on the edge but still for some crazy reason just stepped out. On a positive note the water was rather refreshing on a hot day and the fish stayed on.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I was in the process of unhooking a fish when a disabled man in a wheel chair stopped for a fishing chat. Trying to do two thing at once lead to a lapse in concentration. I released the fish ok, picked up the rod wih my back to all my kit whilst still talking, stepped back and trod on and trashed my rodpod. :oops:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I walked in to a lake before while playing a big cat fish in Thailand, steep margin and just stepped out and went straight under :D

I have no idea why, I did not slip or loose my balance and was aware I was standing on the edge but still for some crazy reason just stepped out. On a positive note the water was rather refreshing on a hot day and the fish stayed on.

That is hilarious. I can just picture one of your hats being left behind on the surface as you went under. :lol::thumbs:

That is hilarious. I can just picture one of your hats being left behind on the surface as you went under. :lol::thumbs:

The hat did float for a while but soon sunk and was never seen again :(

There was a restaurant over looking the lake and mercifully there was only the owner and a few locals watching along with my fishing guide and girlfriend. The cheer that went up when I went under could have been much worse if it had been busy. Unfortunatly I was the only person fishing and so they had all been watching as I played the fish.

I do seem to get myself in to some pickles when catfish are involved, I have been bitten, head butted and stabbed my them along with having one impaled on my arm. I dread to think what would happen if I went to the Ebro :lol:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

The hat did float for a while but soon sunk and was never seen again :(

There was a restaurant over looking the lake and mercifully there was only the owner and a few locals watching along with my fishing guide and girlfriend. The cheer that went up when I went under could have been much worse if it had been busy. Unfortunatly I was the only person fishing and so they had all been watching as I played the fish.

:lol:

I dread to think what would happen if I went to the Ebro :lol:

I think there would be a new post on here by Elton with a sombre tone ;) .

i was in the caribbean on the salt water flats fishinf for bone fish, i had just spotted a group of fish and as i was walking twards them i stood on a sea urchin as i sreamed out in pain i jumped out of the water as i landed again i steped on another one! :wallbash:

it took my tad 2 hours with a pair of tweezers to get all the spines out :schmoll:

i didnt catch any bone fish that day though, i did catch a mohara though :thumbs:

It was a few years ago on the local canal. I was having a bit of chat with someone who was just walking past as I was just putting a roach into the keepnet some how I managed to follow the fish into the net head first!

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?