Your most embarrassing angling moment?

AddictedToScopex

When I was young (about 10) went down to my local smallish lake with my Grandma eager to show off my new distance casting ability with a ledger rod....

With all my power I whizzed the lead out nailing through 3 peoples swims and catching their lines and setups in the process before nonchallantly reeling back in for a recast and pulling everyones lines together in one big bundle. The stares still haunt me and needless to say Grandma did not offer to take me fishing again!

If your on this forum...apologises.

Carp-Catcha

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was young (about 10) went down to my local smallish lake with my Grandma eager to show off my new distance casting ability with a ledger rod....

With all my power I whizzed the lead out nailing through 3 peoples swims and catching their lines and setups in the process before nonchallantly reeling back in for a recast and pulling everyones lines together in one big bundle. The stares still haunt me and needless to say Grandma did not offer to take me fishing again!

:lol:

I once set my chair up very close to the water, and as I went to cast quite far i leaned forward too far and literally slid feet first into the lake!

Pike fishing once with a mate and his dad we came across a life buoy down in the water. There were very steep banks and being the smallest I agreed to go down and get it in case it was ever needed. I slid down, threw up the life buoy and then started to slowly slip down into the river. With nothing to hang on to and the banks so steep I couldnt get back up, so my friends dad ended up throwing the buoy back down to me to get me up again!

Also yesterday me and my mate were having a bit of a friendly match down on a local pond, i was speaking to him in his peg and then we walked over to my peg together so he could see how i was getting on in my peg. He was rolling a fag as he was walking and I could see he was going to sit in my chair, so jokingly i sprinted past him to hop into my chair, but instead tripped over it and slipped into the pond, luckily only one leg going in but still annoying!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

:lol:

I once set my chair up very close to the water, and as I went to cast quite far i leaned forward too far and literally slid feet first into the lake!

Pike fishing once with a mate and his dad we came across a life buoy down in the water. There were very steep banks and being the smallest I agreed to go down and get it in case it was ever needed. I slid down, threw up the life buoy and then started to slowly slip down into the river. With nothing to hang on to and the banks so steep I couldnt get back up, so my friends dad ended up throwing the buoy back down to me to get me up again!

Also yesterday me and my mate were having a bit of a friendly match down on a local pond, i was speaking to him in his peg and then we walked over to my peg together so he could see how i was getting on in my peg. He was rolling a fag as he was walking and I could see he was going to sit in my chair, so jokingly i sprinted past him to hop into my chair, but instead tripped over it and slipped into the pond, luckily only one leg going in but still annoying!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Years ago, when I used to fish King's Weir more or less exclusively, I was in a good swim, it was getting late and a friend came to see what was going on/were we going for a pint/ etc etc, on seeing that I was using prawns he asked me if they were any good, I gave him one and a spare rod already set up, he tossed it in just upstream of me and had an almost instant really good take........................ and the hook came off. This is not something I usually suffer from, I'm very fussy about knots etc, so that was quite embarrassing for me.

Got my own back a good while later, when he told me his Aerial had gone a bit stiff - I cured it for him by undoing the drag. :rolleyes: Are you out there Clive?

One of the funniest things I witnessed was on Chesil Beach at Abbotsbury. Was there on me hols with the wife and kids - probably bin to the Swannery and having a picnic on the shingle. Lad turns up with girl friend in tow, rod and reel and minimal tackle. Proceeds to take an age setting up his rig -explaining everything to said girl friend who does a fair job at feining an interest . Eventually he's ready, threads on a piece of bait and prepares to launch his rig into the briny, gives an almighty heave and right at the top of the cast there's an loud snap as his rig cracks off and flies out heading for France!!!

Girl had the nerve to ask if that was supposed to happen - he packed up immedaitely!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thursday night last week!

Got two pins for Xmas and have been learning how to fish with them!

Landed a couple of fish and then things went quiet! Finally had a bite, hooked into something that shot off over the lake, felt nice and big, then my little finger gets stuck in the rear of the pin! ( it's the tfg classic centrepin) fish pulls so hard I can't extract finger from reel and line snaps!

Little finger quite badly swollen and nail now red and black! Fish free to mock me at its leisure and best buddy nie on choking on his fag in laughter!

Fishing the River Trent using a 5 oz Weight to hold the flow. I got snagged and knew I would lose my hook.

Tightened the line as you do to snap the hooklink only to fire the weight from the river like a rocket into my tender parts. :headhurt::headhurt:

Needless to say, I had to stop fishing...

I always worry that will happen. I cringe every time when pulling for a break, even if I am doing it as safely as possible. My mate had the cheek to ask me to pull for a break or to straighten his hooks (whichever came first) when using 25lb braid the other week. Needless to say he got told where to go as the lure he was using had a lead weight built in to aid casting.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I arrived late for a winter league match on the Swale, back in the 80s, with a steaming great hangover.

Got to my peg, which looked good for a few fish, and set up OK despite the screeching headache and double vision. About halfway, after having caught a few and cheered up a bit, a series of violent intestinal cramps (the kind that only overindulgence or dysentery can produce) sent me scuttling behind a bush for a tom tit.

Now, those of you old enough to remember the one-piece winter suits we used to wear in those days will also recall how difficult it was to perform ones natural functions whilst still wearing the garment. Dragging the thing down to my knees, I squatted gratefully, just in the nick of time.

Job done, and feeling rather better, I sat down and carried on, gagging at the powerful stench. Presently it clouded over and a fine rain began. Grabbing my hood, I went to pull it up, and realised just in the nick of time that it was far heavier than normal...............thank heavens it was removable.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Guest Chris Perch

About 10 yrs ago I was fishing at a local club water and went round to chat to two elderly members of the club one being the club president and while chatting I leant on a willow branch which promptly cracked and I went head first right in thier swim.

They thought it highly amusing and every now and then I get reminded of that moment.

Most embarassing.