Your most embarrassing angling moment?

AddictedToScopex

I was out on a smallish lake on Wednesday, sun was shining, I was all set up, anglers on the opposite bank catching the odd fish.... Anyway, I wasnt really having much luck, but I knew there was a tench there as I could see the reeds moving now and again just by the bank, but it just wasnt taking my bait.

I had 2 rods out, one quiver and one float.... the float was in the Tench swim but it just wasnt biting. Anyway, I decided to put my quiver in the Tench swim instead (thought a different presentaion of bait etc might entice it) and I moved my float else where... as I cast the float and settled both rods on my rod pod I sat down, only to find that my Quiver was going nuts! It got pulled off the rod pod and neally went in the lake, I just caught the end of it before losing it, the float rod fell off the pod and into the lake, I then kicked the rod pod in the lake whilst trying to grab my quiver..... I could tell the other anglers were laughing but I couldnt bring myself to look, I was too busy controlling the fish!

I had the last laugh in the end when I pulled in a 4.5lb Tench, first of the sason.... Lovely!!! :-)

However, it was very embarrassing when I then had to get on my hands and knees to pull out my float rod and my rod pod from the lake! :huh:

Cheers,

Stu...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a particularly memorable day a couple of years ago (and how I wish I could forget it!) I’d joined a local angling club, specifically so I could fish the pond at a local National Trust property. It’s a rather nice little place, and I was looking forward to it. When I arrived, as on many occasions since, I was the only angler there. I set up on what I thought was the best peg, and had a cracking day, landing lots of small roach and perch. Nothing major, but enough to keep me ticking over all day. Then I realised that I really needed to answer the call of nature….what was I to do? I couldn’t leave my gear to go down to the Hall to use the facilities there, as it was too long a walk and I didn’t want to return to find my gear gone….

I looked around, and found what looked like a good, discreet shelter….a large bush, away from the pond, and with a good panoramic view so that I could spot anyone approaching…..I looked around carefully, and there was nobody in the vicinity. Behind me were open fields, with a few grazing horses. Right, it was now or never! I reeled in, placed my rod on the rest and made a dash for it. Carefully checking that the area was clear, I proceeded to do what a woman has to do, especially when she’s necked two large flasks of tea! Ah, blessed relief!

And then I heard it….the ominous sounds of someone approaching! Aaaargh! Seemingly out of nowhere, a group of Japanese ramblers appeared, trolling down the field behind me, camcorders and digital cameras in hand! Unfortunately, it was a bit like Mastermind – “I’ve started, so I’ll finish”…..I’m sure my rather ample posterior is now on some Japanese version of You Tube, much to my embarrassment! I didn’t know whether to hide or wave! Luckily the sun was shining, so I hope they got my best side….

Janet

I had a particularly memorable day a couple of years ago (and how I wish I could forget it!) I’d joined a local angling club, specifically so I could fish the pond at a local National Trust property. It’s a rather nice little place, and I was looking forward to it. When I arrived, as on many occasions since, I was the only angler there. I set up on what I thought was the best peg, and had a cracking day, landing lots of small roach and perch. Nothing major, but enough to keep me ticking over all day. Then I realised that I really needed to answer the call of nature….what was I to do? I couldn’t leave my gear to go down to the Hall to use the facilities there, as it was too long a walk and I didn’t want to return to find my gear gone….

I looked around, and found what looked like a good, discreet shelter….a large bush, away from the pond, and with a good panoramic view so that I could spot anyone approaching…..I looked around carefully, and there was nobody in the vicinity. Behind me were open fields, with a few grazing horses. Right, it was now or never! I reeled in, placed my rod on the rest and made a dash for it. Carefully checking that the area was clear, I proceeded to do what a woman has to do, especially when she’s necked two large flasks of tea! Ah, blessed relief!

And then I heard it….the ominous sounds of someone approaching! Aaaargh! Seemingly out of nowhere, a group of Japanese ramblers appeared, trolling down the field behind me, camcorders and digital cameras in hand! Unfortunately, it was a bit like Mastermind – “I’ve started, so I’ll finish”…..I’m sure my rather ample posterior is now on some Japanese version of You Tube, much to my embarrassment! I didn’t know whether to hide or wave! Luckily the sun was shining, so I hope they got my best side….

Janet

What a great mental picture. Nearly spat out me tea :D

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

OK one more from a couple of years back - fishing a floater very close in on the edge of some Bogbean - sitting with one hand on the rod and one leg crossed over t'other - got a good take and went to stand up to play the fish only to discover that the bootlace on one boot was caught in one of the metal lace loops of the other boot - so I'm now trying to stand up with my legs still crossed - it can't really be done - not while playing a fish anyway - I lost the fish and plonked my self down again to untangle my feet - sorry to have to reveal that I did not fall in - but it was mighty close and probably highly amusing to watch. :)

Although I wasn't fishing myself I still class this as my most embarrising angling moment. When I was a young teen I used to live close the the river Teme and if I wasn't fishing myself then I would be walking the bank fish spotting or chatting to the visiting barbel fishermen. One day I was walking down the river with a couple of mates when we came up on a guy who was fishing. I quickly noticed that his quiver tip was going nuts and taking up an alarming curve but the guy was looking down at his feet so, thinking that he was about to lose his rod in the drink I shouted, quite loudly, "Oi mate you've got a bite" At this point the guy quickly turned around to see who was shouting at him. This is when I noticed that he'd got the feeder in his hand and was filling up with maggots for his next cast. Obviously I felt like a complete pillock and got some serious stick from my mates.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I was fishing a very silted lake with a wide reed margin upon which someone had handily placed wooden pallets on top of the reeds, deep-silt.

The pallets were very unsteady and any sudden move could easily result in being pitched into the several feet of soft, stinky silt.

Needing to answer a call of nature, and with no flies on my fishing trousers, I pulled them down to my knees as I balanced on the edge of the pallet.

Just at that moment an elderly Brown Owl appeared with a troop of girl-guides to observe the 'nature' on the lake.

They beat a hasty retreat back through the undergrowth, leaving me teetering alarmingly as I hastily tried to adjust my dress.

:)

On another occasion, whilst lure-fishing, the lure caught on a old piece of anchor-rope.

Not wishing to lose an expensive lure, I carefully waded out and managed to release it.

Screened from the public footpath behind by bushes, I took off my soaked trousers and spread them to dry.

A short while latter there was girlish giggles coming from the direction of the footpath.

Looking back in that direction, I realised that I had made the error of not considering horse-riders passing by, with a clear field of view above the screen of bushes from their lofty saddles!

:) :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I remember fishing on a lake next to another lake that had a match on. Poles everywhere. I sat carping and as one of the matchmen came up to tell his mate how crap it was fishing, i casually mentioned about not leaving his pole fishing, he said something along the line of, i haven't had a bloody bite all day.

Cue his pole going by, full 16m of it :D, didn't see that happening. It actually happened to two people in that match. Moral of the story, no unattended rods.