switching from pike to other species

itsmrb

Hi all

New poster here looking for some advice. I have done a lot of pike fishing over the years so all my tackle and gear is very much for this purpose. I am however looking to start fishing for other course species from a local reservoir which contains carp, tench, roash, rudd, perch and bream. I would ideally like to purchase an "all round" rod and reel, possibly even telescopic, as a starting point and was looking for some advice on this. I'm on a budget also. In addition, I'm looking for an all round line strength, all round hook size, float advice, bait advice and anything else relevant to get me started.

Many Thanks

Hi all

New poster here looking for some advice. I have done a lot of pike fishing over the years so all my tackle and gear is very much for this purpose. I am however looking to start fishing for other course species from a local reservoir which contains carp, tench, roash, rudd, perch and bream. I would ideally like to purchase an "all round" rod and reel, possibly even telescopic, as a starting point and was looking for some advice on this. I'm on a budget also. In addition, I'm looking for an all round line strength, all round hook size, float advice, bait advice and anything else relevant to get me started.

Many Thanks

First of all welcome to AN. I would say that as you are only really after an all rounder it may be more wise to provide much more specific information. For example what technique do you intend to use? What fish would you most like to be catching. I say this because for a rod to be good for catching both small roach and large carp is asking quite a lot, especially when on a budget. I would personally break your question down and post up a few different topics as you will make it much easier for people to give you a straight answer. For example:

> What would be a good float rod for X species

> What breaking strain main line you would suggest for X species at X weight using X method.

> What bait would you recommend for X species

> What float can be used in X situation

etc etc. You could write a book (many have) on the subjects you are asking for information on so you can see the need to be more specific.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

First of all welcome to AN. I would say that as you are only really after an all rounder it may be more wise to provide much more specific information. For example what technique do you intend to use? What fish would you most like to be catching. I say this because for a rod to be good for catching both small roach and large carp is asking quite a lot, especially when on a budget. I would personally break your question down and post up a few different topics as you will make it much easier for people to give you a straight answer. For example:

> What would be a good float rod for X species

> What breaking strain main line you would suggest for X species at X weight using X method.

> What bait would you recommend for X species

> What float can be used in X situation

etc etc. You could write a book (many have) on the subjects you are asking for information on so you can see the need to be more specific.

Thanks. The idea was to target as many of the species as I can however I would say I'm more interested in catching the small carp, bream and tench. If a large roach or rudd takes my bait that would be a bonus. I was hoping to keep it fairly simple so I was thinking about going for something like this -

11ft carbon rod - I've seen a browning one I like

Rear drag reel

4lb line

waggler float and shots

size 16 or 18 hook with nylon 2lb length

maggot and sweetcorn bait

Before you switch over have you tried Zander?. Not quite the same as pike tackle but quite close. You can't call yourself a speciman predator angler if you have not caught a Zander....God forbid!!! :D

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I saw a 13ft carbon waggler rod and reel that came with a second top so it was a feeder rod by abu garcia i think in the tackle shop yesterday for £35 bargin

I am after a cheap barbel rod around the 2lb sh TC area , not really fussed what it is. What tackle shop was it mate :D

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I am after a cheap barbel rod around the 2lb sh TC area , not really fussed what it is. What tackle shop was it mate :D

Dave H Chapmans were selling off some Sonik twin top rods for half price about £50 ,Not sure if that would fit the bill great rod for the money he got the 1.75 pm him for feedback Steve

Rusty that is he has one....of the rods.....read posts properly before sending......slaps himself round the head .

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

mrb,

What rod and reel setup are you accustomed to using. Would you feel uncomfortable addapting it to larger coarse fish and simply getting a lighter version of "what you have" for the balance of the species you choose to target?

My advice is dance with what brung ya' at first.

As for bait. PSHAW ! Take the kitchen cupboard. Maybe a can of sweet corn. Don't be intimidated. We all have the same goal and that is to have some fun.

Phone

(note my location)