Why do i never learn?

Dave H

I think I saw that one - a real flurry of bids at the end! Three rods in one really, and still have an excellent reputation, and really hold their value against modern rods. I've only ever seen praise for them, would be interested to see the bad press?

I'm keeping my eye put for a second as well now :rolleyes: Trouble is they don't come up very often, and when they do there are always plenty of people willing to pay serious money for them.

The last one I saw on ebay had a start price of £150 and went for about £190. To say I was stunned is an understatement, they were only a tenner more at full retail price. I think mine was around £120, which is about right for a mint example.

It was a barbel forum where I read some rather unflattering views. The poster saw the rod as a jack of all trades and was less than complimentary about it's casting abilities.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I saw that one - a real flurry of bids at the end! Three rods in one really, and still have an excellent reputation, and really hold their value against modern rods. I've only ever seen praise for them, would be interested to see the bad press?

I'm keeping my eye put for a second as well now :rolleyes: Trouble is they don't come up very often, and when they do there are always plenty of people willing to pay serious money for them.

You must have missed that one yesterday Andy . i won in the last few seconds :D

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

You must have missed that one yesterday Andy . i won in the last few seconds :D

Lets hope it arrives in the right number of pieces, Dave :D

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

£120 is really cheap for a good one, you got a real bargain there! They almost always go for between about £170 - £190, excluding postage! I paid £175 for mine; it had been really well cared for, plus the only top section he'd ever used was the 1.75lb tc one, so the other two were literally brand new. The 4 quivertips had never been out of their tube.

I got mine for the big chub fishing (1.5lb tc quivertip top), big perch fishing (1.25lb tc avon top), and gravel pit tench/bream (1.75lb tc avon top).

I can feel a Fox Kevlar barbel rod fish-in coming on :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

£120 is really cheap for a good one, you got a real bargain there! They almost always go for between about £170 - £190, excluding postage! I paid £175 for mine; it had been really well cared for, plus the only top section he'd ever used was the 1.75lb tc one, so the other two were literally brand new. The 4 quivertips had never been out of their tube.

I got mine for the big chub fishing (1.5lb tc quivertip top), big perch fishing (1.25lb tc avon top), and gravel pit tench/bream (1.75lb tc avon top).

I can feel a Fox Kevlar barbel rod fish-in coming on :rolleyes:

Sorry Andy just jest mate i never got one but i would like too but i always have this thing about what is a rod really worth?

If you had a 40lb carp for example and you had a 1.75lb TC £20 rod could you say that you would have less chance landing it (obviously a hard fight for this TC rod) than say your £175 TC 1.75 rod one?

I know the blanks and seat probably are not up to standard but with all things equal playing the fish could you justify it?

Like anything it really matters not as if you want it than have it is my motto sod the logics. Just a debate.. :D

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Well i inspected the wrong one as the other was smashed. it was in tube packaging but nevertheless.

Now bloody hassle and to be honest the post cost ( yes i never read the small print on returns) is 2/3 the cost of the rod and one was a spare really so i am not sure i could be bothered.

That's presumably talking about returns though, ie if you had changed your mind about the rod and wanted a refund or to exchange it for something else. Something that's broken on arrival is quite a different matter and entirely the seller's responsibility.

Theres so many nice rods in the tackle shop for under £50 that meet my needs I don't see the point in risking buying one online. Plus i'm then helping out my local tackle shop.

But I suppose if your looking for something really specific you might look on the net but it doesnt float my boat.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

£120 is really cheap for a good one, you got a real bargain there!

Must have been lucky, I put £155 in at the death and got it for £123.51 plus £15 post.

I've only used the two solid tops so far , but I'm well impressed. It seems to be a very versatile tool.

• 2 months later...
Must have been lucky, I put £155 in at the death and got it for £123.51 plus £15 post.

I've only used the two solid tops so far , but I'm well impressed. It seems to be a very versatile tool.

With the assistance of a decent red Bordeaux I now have a second one of these :rolleyes: I used the first for some of the gravel pit tenching this spring and it was superb. The second one turned up yesterday and is absolutely mint. Now I'm looking for a good excuse to use two at once B)

Rob, get some decent wine down you and do the right thing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOX-12-FOOT-KEVL...=item2c66324f62

:D

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music