Favourite angling books

robtherake

I could go on! (I have nearly 200 angling books!) :rolleyes:

C.

I have a similar size collection but still have some i would like

No need to lie - r walker

Quite collectable and sometimes goes for silly money if the dust jacket is in good repair...

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchRe...=no+need+to+lie

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see there's far more angling literature out there than I originally thought. Thanks, guys.

My all time favourite passage comes from Angler's Angles, a Book co-authored by John Burrett and Alan Pearson.

In the chapter called "Angles on Happiness", the author (I forget which one) writes about meeting and befriending an older angler on the bank. Whilst taking a drink together later, he realises that this old man is probably the happiest person he has ever met (he had sold up, bought a caravan by the river and withdrawn from the world at large) and asks him if there is anything at all that troubles him.

"Well" says the man, "the chub here like Canadian cheddar, which I don't care for, but I can't afford both sorts so I have to eat what they do. It's a great pity"

There's a lesson here for all of us.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

My shortlist of favourites would be:

Bream Fishing by Derek Quirk - I found it a great help, even though it's pretty old now

Stillwater Angling by Richard Walker - mainly for the introduction

Gravel Pit Angling by Peter Stone - a lovely read and full of great info

Chasing Dreams by Tony Miles - great stories and some amazing captures

First Cast by Terry Lampard - as above!

Redmire Pool by Kevin Clifford & Len Arbery - a superb history of the iconic water

The Secret Carp by Chris Yates - just sooths the soul

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My personal favourite would have to be "A Dream of Jewelled Fishes" by John Aston...it's a lovely book.

I had the opportunity to fish with John shortly after the book was published and have a chat with him, so this book means a lot to me.

Janet

That book is one of my favourites, one that I've reread several times. There was a rumour of another from him - I hope he does another one.

I have the choice of 600 angling books and still write my own.... ;)

I'd suggest to Anderoo Peter Stone's 'Ledgering'.

Edited by Mark Wintle

• 2 weeks later...
That book is one of my favourites, one that I've reread several times. There was a rumour of another from him - I hope he does another one.

I have the choice of 600 angling books and still write my own.... ;)

I'd suggest to Anderoo Peter Stone's 'Ledgering'.

Glad you enjoyed it. New book out this Summer- see Medlar Press website for details.

Quite collectable and sometimes goes for silly money if the dust jacket is in good repair...

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchRe...=no+need+to+lie

C.

a nice book i flogged one on ebay but the cover was in a terrible condition ,it was all there but extremely fragile ,touching it damaged it further

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Glad you enjoyed it. New book out this Summer- see Medlar Press website for details.

Thanks, I shall keep an eye out for it on the Medlar website.