The anglers net regulars....

Dave H

the potatoe bed is the largest I have and is only 18 inches high at the moment, it will get deeper and the walls higher as time goes on.

Not too high though or (from experience) you'll have problems with it drying out in hot weather. More watering=less fishing!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watch that your hen poop is well composted - it can burn and kill plants if it isn't.

Yes, the hen house cleanings always go right through the composters, never applied neat.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Yes, the hen house cleanings always go right through the composters, never applied neat.

A good composting tip (although you need a fair bit of raw material) for making lots of compost from a small space. If you use the "dalek" style composters, fill two and wait until the contents have reduced by half. Empty both into a third dalek and refill the first two.

By the time the refilled ones have been reduced by half, the material in the third bin (having now gone through two heating-up processes) will almost be compost. Put this in a holding area or container to finish off, making sure it's covered to stop it drying out.

Now you can empty the two into the one again, and so on.

As long as you have a good supply of composting waste (so it's a good autumn method) it's possible to make a ridiculous amount of compost in a short space of time. If you have a stables nearby, the manure will help to make up the volume of materials needed.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I read the forum regularly more for entertainment/education as my "waters" don't equate to a lot that are written about but if I glean bit of information that I can use in the future or think about it's worthwhile.

As for " what's best ......? Tackle changes regularly and a rod that was £130 new 2 years ago and better rods were available at that price is now available for £70 is a good buy. So a search of threads is not always relevant.

Reading the forum there are various opinions and usually after reading 3 or 4 pages on a thread my thoughts/opinion on the subject has already been covered.

As for slugs and potatoes I always found adding ash to the soil made the potato "scabby" so stopped adding ash

Dave

As for slugs and potatoes I always found adding ash to the soil made the potato "scabby" so stopped adding ash

Dave

Well spotted, Dave. The ash is alkaline and potatoes grown in alkaline conditions do develop scab. It's harmless, however, and doesn't affect their eating or storage qualities, it's just a bit unsightly.

What is important though (and I really should have picked up on this, for shame!) is that the acidic manure and feed pellets react with the alkaline ashes and lose some of their effectiveness. If you intend to use both, then they should be applied to the soil a few months apart.

Head spinning now...well they are in surrounded by ash and pellets, I shall just have to wait and see. I will try to remember to put in a report at harvest time. Now I'm off to havr a go at those wildies.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Looks like I'm going to be busy in the greenhouse this weekend - a mouse has uprooted all of my sweet pea seedlings and dug up a load of peas and beans :(

Looks like I'm going to be busy in the greenhouse this weekend - a mouse has uprooted all of my sweet pea seedlings and dug up a load of peas and beans :(

Curses! They'll get in where a draught wouldn't. The only effective deterrent is to make mesh covers for your trays and rows.

All,

Where's Chesters1?

Phone

still here after a vacation at folkestone shaking my fist in the general direction of france

a lot of prospective topic starters most probably never did after those unfortunate to do so get pounced on by those that never did because they enjoyed slating others rather than join in the thread :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Welcome back! I expect some seriously well thought out responses now that you are refreshed.

I'd say without a doubt AN posters are a bunch of traditionalists who tweek the already tweeked amongst themselves. Then biytch about it. I started a truly "outside the box" topic. You AN regulars dissapeared like stink from chit. You can only pat yourselves on the back so far down the spine then you have to shoal up and pat each other. (Nothing wrong with that, I like it that you have such a relationship with one another).

No one wants to get their English feet wet in fear of the establishment. He!!, you won't even disagree with my theory for fear I might be right (which is a distinct posibility - see hooks and attractants thread). You're suckers for the "fishwrap" mags and massive advertising. It's no wonder fish like carp that respond to "sameness" are popular.

Phone