Another car question

Jeff S

or something more serious? I know some of you have Evos (Elton) and Subarus... Advice please..

I have a 2001 Volvo V40 T4. It has just gone over 90k.

When I give it some stick (wellie-whatever) or drop the clutch so to speak I get a giant shudder (loud pounding) through the car as the front wheels eventually find traction and not much acceleration. It seems to accelerate rather smoothly if I don't get on it. I'm just wondering if I am due for some serious maintenance (struts and engine mounts) or if this is normal and its just the turbo and too much power all at once.

I ran accross this on another forum:

Wheel hop is caused by the wheels "castering". What happens when you launch hard is this: The whole shebang "winds up". The wheels move back towards the rear of the car (via the control arms which are mounted to the car via soft bushings that "give"), and the motor mounts stretch to the end of their travel. While all this stretchin and bendin is going on, power is being absorbed. Once the limits are reached power is suddenly not being absorbed the whole gamut suddenly gets transmitted to the tires. When the tires suddenly break traction due the sudden increase in torque, the tension on everything is released, everything suddenly springs back to resting position, the tires grab again, and the whole cycle starts over again. You can actually see the tires "castering" quite a bit if you were to watch this happen. Your tires also play a factor in this. Tires that are quite sticky tend to exacerbate the problem, as do worn struts.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff, it's a common problem with powerful front wheel drive cars. My Civic Type-R would do the same if you tried to use too much power in a low gear without a perfectly dry road. I don't think it necessarily indicates a problem with your car (other than being driven from the wrong end ;) )

When I give it some stick (wellie-whatever) or drop the clutch so to speak I get a giant shudder (loud pounding) through the car as the front wheels eventually find traction and not much acceleration.

Don't do it then.

Thanks Steve. I don't want to be forking out loads of cash and find I didn't need to. I have read that I can remedy this by upgrading motor mounts and bushings. But thankfully not required!

Don't do it then.

You suggest a lack of common sense of which I can assure you I have too much of. Cheers Colin... I'll keep that in mind.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

I used to have a modified Mini that would do what you describe. If I did it right and got some tire down, i could even sit it there and wheelspin on the spot :D

Can't do that with the Evo. All wheel drive means the clutch just smokes...

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It mostly happens on hills when trying to accelerate, I just can't really tell if the wheels are actually spinning or if something was wrong relating to the gearbox. I do sometimes miss my AWD Impreza though. The T4 is hands down faster. The Impreza wasn't a WRX.

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...