Lets put it in a box and leave it behind

andy_youngs

It's about canoe access on the Rivers Wensum and Hampshire Avon.

The purpose of this thread is for people on all sides of the canoe access debate to pitch in. Believe me, I've pushed these mods to the very limits, but they just wont ban me. So feel free to say whatever you want with impunity ....

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What debate ?

What mods ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'm not sure who the current mods are, maybe the yanks Phone / Newt. Not sure, whoever, I kind of trust them because over the years I've visited some pretty controvercial ground on this forum, and they've always held steady for me. Newt is definately a mod, and a bit of a wise old coot, although he did send me an unwarrented formal warning once. But that was a long time ago.

We could visit some controvercial ground now, if you like. If you would like to hear a controvercial story that will p$ss a load barbel fishermen off .... are you sitting comfortably?

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

If you would like to hear a controvercial story that will p$ss a load barbel fishermen off .... are you sitting comfortably?

Maybe one for another thread.

As far as canoe/kayak access goes, I don't really have an issue with them. We get loads comming down the Severn between Bridgenorth and Bewdley including large groups of disabled kids on outward bound type day trips.

Occasionally, someone acts like a dick but most are considerate and curtious and the fish stay spooked for all of five minutes when one goes over their heads.

On the lower river, where the water is typically more than 2m deep, I don't see them being a problem at all.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Andy Y, whats your view on canoe access ?

as for me its their right just as much as it is ours to be on the water but as ken said some of them are proper plonkers.

thankfully i have only ever had one idiot buzz right through my swim on a canal and totally ignoring my words of warning. everyone else have stayed as far away as they can and i appreciate that.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Ken, this is not about the Severn. It's about the Wensum and Hampshire Avon. And whether or not the taxpayer should be financing the artificial stocking of these rivers with barbel, when the barbel actively predate on all the endangered species for which these rivers have received their respective conservation designations.

Both of these rivers have been in the headlines in recent years for canoe access disputes, and to me it defies logic how anglers on such environmentally 'shaky' ground could be so intolerant of others.

Barbel are not native to either of these catchments, but they continue to be artificially stocked in defiance of written assurances to the contrary from the Environment Agency.

Can you imagine how insulting it is for a canoeist on one of these rivers to have a barbel fisherman accusing him of being an environmental vandal?

Most normal people would find such an attitude HIGHLY inflammitory. So do I.

Edited by andy_youngs

Maybe one for another thread.

No, I think this issue will get a good airing on this thread. That's the whole pont of it.

Andy Y, whats your view on canoe access ?

as for me its their right just as much as it is ours to be on the water but as ken said some of them are proper plonkers.

thankfully i have only ever had one idiot buzz right through my swim on a canal and totally ignoring my words of warning. everyone else have stayed as far away as they can and i appreciate that.

You seem like a fairly normal person Andy, so I doubt if this thread is for you. This thread is really aimed at the abnormal anglers that are intent on denying canoeists access to our rivers. You ask what is my view? "Just let them get on with it".

Personally, I might go paddling once or twice a year. I'd just like the comfort of knowing that if I do wish to paddle down my local river I'm not going to be accosted by some thuggish landowner / angler.

No, I think this issue will get a good airing on this thread. That's the whole pont of it.

Yes, but you didn't actually say what the thread was about at the outset.

For what it's worth, I agree with you with regard to the barbel but it is also about the Severn because the bloody things were introduced into that river (also outside their native range) in 1958 and have done and are doing enormous damage. from the Severn, they entered the Teme and the Avon and have been transplanted by idiots into the Wye and the Dee.

The next disaster waiting to happen is orf/ide. Because they are not predators (actually, they are but like chub, they only eat small fry and will take maggots) the EA have allowed their widespread stocking and they will end up in the rivers.