Lets put it in a box and leave it behind

andy_youngs

Yes, but you didn't actually say what the thread was about at the outset.

For what it's worth, I agree with you with regard to the barbel but it is also about the Severn because the bloody things were introduced into that river (also outside their native range) in 1958 and have done and are doing enormous damage. from the Severn, they entered the Teme and the Avon and have been transplanted by idiots into the Wye and the Dee.

The next disaster waiting to happen is orf/ide. Because they are not predators (actually, they are but like chub, they only eat small fry and will take maggots) the EA have allowed their widespread stocking and they will end up in the rivers.

Sorry about that. Had a big row on the previous thread, and hence terminated that and started this thread to try and calm things down a bit. Interesting comments Ken. I of course know that that barbel were artificially introduced into all the western flowing rivers such as the Wye, the Severn and the Theme. And the barbel are continuing to do considerable damage to the salmon stocks in these rivers. But trying to curtail the Environment Agency's zeal for barbel introductions is uphill battle.

They've got this sophisticated science lab called Calverton Fish Farm, which churns out millions of genetically manufactured barbel fry every year, so they've then got to find somewhere to put them all. And the truth is that simply ain't enough native habitat to accommodate them all. So they end up going into riverine habitats to which they are not entirely suited, and that then has profound social and ecological consequences.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbel are not native to either of these catchments, but they continue to be artificially stocked in defiance of written assurances to the contrary from the Environment Agency.

I'd be interested to see some proof of this; brief will do. English Nature has blocked any Barbel stocking into the Hants Avon for a good few years now.

This thread is really aimed at the abnormal anglers that are intent on denying canoeists access to our rivers.

Abnormal: not normal, average, typical, or usual.

I think that fits the minority who want better canoe access more than the majority who don't.

There are bigger issues here. Privacy for one. Some people have paid a lot of money for river frontages that would end up as picnic spots and toilets for canoeists as well as them having to endure a procession of paddlers passing by their once private gardens.

Then there are the repercussions of every Tom, Richard and Harry buying a play boat and using the rivers like they do woods and footpaths with off-road motor bikes. For every canoeist who pays their licence fee I'll wager ten won't. We've already seen evidence of this on the Welsh rivers where parts are navigable and the canoeists treating the non-navigble parts as their playground.

Regards, Clive

They've got this sophisticated science lab called Calverton Fish Farm, which churns out millions of genetically manufactured barbel fry every year

How are these fish modified? The brood fish are taken from the Trent and after eggs and sperm are produced there returned to the Trent/

The simplist and best thing to do is to ban all canoe's from rivers.

Effectively Tigger, that's the mindset we're up against

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Effectively Tigger, that's the mindset we're up against

Andy I reckon i'm one of them as all the canoists i've seen have been loud ignorant barstewards and deserve to be deleted.

How are these fish modified? The brood fish are taken from the Trent and after eggs and sperm are produced there returned to the Trent/

I don't know how they do it grumpy, I just know that they produce all of these barbel, millions of them, and then tip a substantial proportion of them into ditch in norfolk. They are then fed on high protein suppliments in an unnatural environment until they attain a record weight, at which point somebody pulls them out of the river and claims the UK record.

The problem is that they just can't reproduce in viable numbers.

And I think we've lost our way.

Edited by andy_youngs

Andy I reckon i'm one of them as all the canoists i've seen have been loud ignorant barstewards and deserve to be deleted.

Well you won't get deleted here. Say what's on your mind.

I'd be interested to see some proof of this; brief will do. English Nature has blocked any Barbel stocking into the Hants Avon for a good few years now.

11 October 2011, AT - EA meeting :

"The Angling Trust also reported that the Agency was considering giving consent to stock barbel in what would otherwise be natural trout rivers. Barbel could prevent trout from re-establishing. Adrian Taylor said the Agency would only give consent to stock barbel in rivers within its natural range and considered the balance between species’ abundance when consenting additional stocking."

Abnormal: not normal, average, typical, or usual.

I think that fits the minority who want better canoe access more than the majority who don't.

Interesting, trying to figure out who's in the majority, and who's in the minority