"Budgies Bugs" (Zig Bugs)

Very nice Budgie - I reckon those chaps fishing static boobies on fast sinkers at Farmoor could use a rod pod and alarms ;)

Direct link to the bugs:

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/fishing-tackle.html

Or will we one day see carpers with matching Sage AFTM7-8's and Loop Traditionals loaded with Hi-D's sat on pods? ;) I bet Sage and Loop wouldn't mind!

I reckon carpers would easily adapt to the fluff flinging snobbery of only fishing the "dray flay"! :rolleyes:

Maybe the two scenes will end up merging together? (Hmmm note to self: best sort out supply of "Fishouflage" Trout pattern waistcoats and get some Wheatley boxes in Realtree!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Years ago when I didn't know any better I fished a put and take trout reservoir (Ladybower in Derbyshire) where I caught fish that had been bred and released especially for my entertainment. I tied similar flies to these Zig Bugs to use on a Hi-Di sinking line and 6" leader so the line slid along the bottom and the fly bobbed up and down just off the bottom away from debris and snags. They worked a treat in early season and I'm sure I still have a few tucked away albeit tied on conventional trout hooks. I think Budgies Bugs will be a goer for carp and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take other species.

I'll try and find one and take a photo. I called them hedgehogs.

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

BUDGIE,

Although the name escapes me I've caught a zillion blue gill on your Zig Bug. Also, similar, the rubber lining that keeps air from rushing into the car around the door. Used to pick a pinch of it off when we ran out of bugs.

In America rarely do we have a problem with to small a hook.

I would endorse Zig Bugs as a dandy piece of kit without even using one. However, you can't have to many predators zipping about if you want to catch carp. They, the predators, will drive you nuts whilst trying to catch the real fish.

Phone

Years ago when I didn't know any better I fished a put and take trout reservoir (Ladybower in Derbyshire) where I caught fish that had been bred and released especially for my entertainment. I tied similar flies to these Zig Bugs to use on a Hi-Di sinking line and 6" leader so the line slid along the bottom and the fly bobbed up and down just off the bottom away from debris and snags. They worked a treat in early season and I'm sure I still have a few tucked away albeit tied on conventional trout hooks. I think Budgies Bugs will be a goer for carp and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take other species.

I'll try and find one and take a photo. I called them hedgehogs.

Well, I rooted around in the barn and eventually found an old fly box marked up with the postcode of a house I left 19 years ago. Inside were two Hedgehogs which were duly brought inside and photographed using my mobile phone. When I edited and saved the photos in Adobe it reminded me that I already had a file named 'Hedgehogs'. They had been on the computer for years :wallbash:

Anyway, here they are. These are the Mk. i versions. The later ones had a soft beard hackle. I fished them just off the bottom using a Hi-D fly line and short 6" leader. They worked great for trout and I reckon Budgies Zig Bugs will work really well for carp when fished near the bottom.

Hedgehogs.jpg

Regards, Clive