do you have to spod to use zig rigs?

madtom-86

All i have been planning a trip to linear and ive been told that zigs work best at these lakes, do you have to spod to use zigs because ive never used a spod before and was planning on using pva bags. Has anyone got any advice on this or any other rigs/ bait which i would be better off using?

cheers tom

Basically there are three main ways to use a Zig.

You can either use it to fish an anchored surface/just sub surface real bait such as a pop up or mixer and fish it among loose fed bait (the method of delivery depends entirely on the distance fished). Or you can fish it with a real bait,piece of foam or a "Zig Bug" and spod in loads of very "sloppy"/loose feed to create a cloud in the upper water layers. Or finally just use it (with any of the bait variations) fished entirely without feed.

Choice of which really depends on the water your fishing and how the fish are behaving.

A favourite at this time of year when the fish are on naturals is to fish an artificial ZIG BUG (scroll down to see) along side new weed growth. Use as fine a fluorocarbon or Drennan Double Strength hook link as is sensible (6-8lb is best if practical) and play around with the depths.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Does anybody use a zig rig which is literally a weight and a hook with a bead between? Like a basic free running leger without the shot or swivel to stop the weight at a certain point.

I use this quite a lot and I class that as a zig rig, but maybe i'm mistaken. It's useful for pulling crust an inch or two under the surface when surface baits are not allowed.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Great advice already given, but for what it's worth...If the fish are not obviously on the surface I would start about six inches under and then work down a foot at a time. If you start this way you can simply shorten the rig rather than tie a new one. I tend to avoid pop ups (cut down or otherwise) and get best results from using foam. The most successful colours for me are orange and black! As for spodding, the only way to do it is as has been suggested; a sloppy, milky mix. However, unless you are going for a long session (at least two days) I would avoid this tactic, but that's just me!

Not sure how you would use a PVA bag with a Zig, anything that doesn't float will attract fish only below and anything that does move about will quickly disappear - unless I'm missing something!

Good luck...

F.

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."