it's the magic that's missing

fenboy

Fenboy's opening remarks and some of the responses really got me thinking. Some of my points have already been made by others so I would just like to reiterate "each to his own". I indulge in several forms of angling but others I don't - either because of lack of inclination, time or money. Commercial fisheries exist because they satisfy a need. We don't all have access to uncharted waters where wild fish that have never seen a bait let alone a hook live. Such waters are few and far between in Greater London.

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fenboy:

You see, that's what's missing. fewer anglers go out into unchartered territory, in the hope of catching some huge fish that nobody else has ever caught before.

POINEERING!!i do on tghe regular mate lots of blanks, lots of groundwork..but the magic is there!this year i was going to join fishers green but ive decide not to,i am joining a diffrent river lea stretch,in the hope of tracking down a possible record chub,this fish is known,but there are a few others who could reach the same wieghts,for me the magic is there as these fish are truly wild crafty and not caught easily....

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

The difference between a robust debate between friends, face to face in a pub is that you know each other, that you are facing each other, that you know how far you can go with each other. Not so the net, there you may know some folk. Example being that Poldark and myself have got to know that we can say exactly what we think of the other! But there are many people that we just don't know, people that we don't know just how far we can go with. If we accept that then we should contribute accordingly.

So, whilst I agree with Fenboy in principle, where do I see that angling started to go wrong? With the invention of the electronic bite alarm! Being totally engrossed in a float, or a rod tip is angling, real angling. Wandering off and relying on electronics to do the fishing is just not angling, in my humble, blinkered opinion!

[ 20. July 2004, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

i think pete that you have undoubtedly named that tune in one. still i wont not be using mine i have to say as they do allow me to watch the wildlife, read etc at the same time, so they aint all bad.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Dear Chaps,

So Dick Walker was wrong then. Bait alarms will never catch on.

Good old Fenders, I like his style and the length of his neck. I don't agree with a single word he says in his opening post though by the way.

Great posts from Den and Terry. Both echo my own views. Nice ticking off by Peter. I like the Yank's myself and the outdoor life styles they pursue. Better still, I like the way that the Yanks all stick together when it comes to the protection of their sports.

Damn fine fellows what what.

Methinks Fenders is starting to sound like he has joined the barbel police!!

Regards,

Lee.

[ 20. July 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: trent.barbeler ]

Hi Dogman,

Perhaps your right. Maybe I should get that Ordance survey map and give it a go but teh other problem for me, as for many others I'm sure, is time. I only get to go fishing for about six hours on Sunday morning once a month and perhaps a little more on holiday depending on where we go so I really want to get on with the fishing rather than faffing about. Having said that, there's an intriquing lake that can be seen from the M25 that I've always meant to find out about. Perhaps I should make the effort.

On the subject of new waters, I read in today's AT about Earlswood Lakes (described as being near Banstead but actually near Redhill). Not exactly undiscovered but new to me and a lot closer than Dorking. The time saved on travelling can be spent fishing :)

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

In the last 10 days I have had the opportunity to fish several times. I fished Borwick last thurs, practicing method feeder fishing and caught a carp a chuck, mastered my feeder mix and got more confident. Fished Greenhalgh lake Friday, 21 carp in a day session for about 150lb, alternating pellet on the splash waggler and on the straight lead. Fished a match last night at Farrington Lodges, for three and a half hours I did not even get a bite, the match was won with 1lb 6oz! Tonight i fished the Lancaster canal with a mate for three hours, caught about 20 fish for about 3 and a half pounds. Tomorrow night i fish the river lune with two friends for speci bream knowing there is more chance of blanking than catching but knowing that if one bream is caught it will be a good fish of at least 8lb in weight.

Whats the point in telling all this??

Its all angling and whether stocked or natural fish I enjoy all of it, don't profess to be good but who are you Fenboy to ridicule or slag off whatever fraction of the sport anyone wants to practice. Stick with what you want to do but keep off moaning about others choices.

Yours in sport,

Gary

trent.barbeler:

Dear Chaps,

So Dick Walker was wrong then.  Bait alarms will never catch on.

Good old O-Fenders, I like his style and the length of his neck.  I don't agree with a single word he says in his opening post though by the way.

Great posts from Den and Terry.  Both echo my own views. Nice ticking off by Peter.  I like the Yank's myself and the outdoor life styles they pursue.  Better still, I like the way that the Yanks all stick together when it comes to the protection of their sports.

Damn fine fellows what what.

Methinks O-Fenders is starting to sound like he has joined the barbel police!!

Regards,

Lee.

Don't think that there are any barbel in the Fens though Lee .