fly tying.

greenwells glory

hi lads..

as ye probably know by now im very much into fly fishing and i also tye my own flies.its a lot cheaper!!

but does any1 else here tye there own flies???ive been tyeing since i was nine and im fourteen now so i have a good bit of experience..its a very nice hobby and its a great feeling when you catch a fish on a fly you created or made up.it requires a lot of patience though!!! <_< but hey fishing in general requires patience aswell!!!!

tight lines

sean ;)

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

ive been tyeing since i was nine and im fourteen now so i have a good bit of experience

That's a good age to start fly-tying - it's the age I started at. The ultimate is to catch a fish on a fly that you have not only tied yourself, but have personally shot the bird that provided the feathers for it. I had achieved that by age 11.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

That's a good age to start fly-tying - it's the age I started at. The ultimate is to catch a fish on a fly that you have not only tied yourself, but have personally shot the bird that provided the feathers for it. I had achieved that by age 11.

i dont shoot but i use a lot of pheasant capes and cock capes for the dry flys...a pheasant tail nymph,great fly...

Edited by greenwells glory

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

yep. Been tying for a while now, must be going on 10-12 years. Have tied everything from tiny trout to big saltwater. About the only stuff I haven't done is full dress salmon flies. I used to tie for creativity and to fill my boxes out, now I just tie a few at a time for any given trip so that I have a couple specific to the water I'm on.

thanks

rick

jasus greg you have a nice bit of experience so...its a nice hobby like,i tied up a salmon fly there a week or two ago and it was my own creation and i got a pull from a peal which was a great feeling but it was the only pull all day and there was 3 of us fishing <_<

but thats just salmon fishing,for the amount of time you put into it you dont get much back,even tho im only fourteen i know what this feels like,flogging the spinner or a fly all day without no pull,very tireing!!!!

tight lines

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :D I'm new to this forum thingie :huh: so a quick introduction...............

I do my fishing on the River Mourne which is a tributary of the Foyle system in Northern Ireland.

The Mourne is a big river (20m+) and although it has a good population of brown trout the main quarry are salmon, grilse and sea trout. Spring salmon are best from April to mid May with the bulk of the grilse and summer salmon arriving from June to the end of the season in October. Sea trout are at their peak in June and July.

I tie a lot of salmon flies but only the Traditional Shrimp Patterns. There's roughly about 30 altogether, so I'm kept busy smile.gif

I tie for friends and i also supply a few outlets, It helps to pay for the materials.

I'm looking forward to some friendly chat and exchanging ideas.

John smile.gif

Sorry I thought you said you'd been "trying" for 36 years :D

Colin ;)

:lol::lol::lol: