Deadbaiting Archie Braddock style

Pangolin

IYCF magazine has a recommended deadbait mount on a double hook, just like those sent to me by Argyl, earlier this month (P38). As I've already posted, I caught three pike on this set-up, last time out, and I'm really impressed by it. The most important advantage was that all three pike were simple to unhook, and to return unharmed.

In the light of Peter Waller's concern for the welfare of pike, hooked by inexperienced anglers, I think that we should all be pushing for this to replace the standard two-treble snap tackle as the most popular deadbait mount. These hooks aren't on sale at any of my local tackle shops but, if I keep pestering, they might start to stock them. I'd urge others to do the same, and to swap their snap tackles for double hooks.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a pike angler for over 35 years I would reccomend ignoring anything AB says about Pike! If you like doubles then fine as long as you are happy with them,but dont write trebles off,they have been around for a long time.

You can have a pike swallow any type of hook just learn to deal with it whilst obviously avoiding it best you can.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All of my leader/trace/forefach is Braid!!!!! I have not found a need to use the wire that I purchased a couple of years ago. I have it in my boxes, but do not tie them on. With the use of Jigheads that have 21 to 30 grams of weight, they have snapped off during casts. The Powerpro 100 lb. BS has not failed me and I know that it is easier on the mouth of the fish! Will I loose a fish some day, probably, but they are able to throw a SINGLE hook much easier than a treble. Additionally, I must admit to using Plugs from time to time. This year, I have used the F-zed a number of times, but have not caught on it. The plastic fish that I have used with the jigheads have produced. JMHO :):D

HOPPY4

HOPPY

'they have been around for a long time'

But then,so were pike bungs, gaffs and sharp ended pike gags and look what happened to them.

I still use trebles but only where I can't get away with singles and these kinds of stripped down simple hooking arrangements are now finding favour with fenland zander anglers. I'm also seeing a lot of transitional rigs around. A treble with a single or two singles. But like everything else about fishing, major moves away from tradition take time, nobody wants to give up what they see as a winning rig often until everybody else is using something else. The old argument often used is that'the pike has a hard boney mouth' no arguments....it does, but then so do 75% of the toothy ocean pelagic fish and those are fished for with single hook rigs. Budgie you've used your style of rig for 35 years. I've used the same thing for over 50 years but I'm always looking to improve what I'm using. I also believe that Archie Braddock is way off target with his braid trace but dicarding that in favour of wire still leaves you with a neat, effective hooker. Using a dislike of braid to discount everything else is akin to throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

When I started bringing titanium wire over from the USA, everyone said it wouldnt catch on. Three years on, they may have been famous last words.

[ 04. November 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'