Groundbait mix the night before?

bomber253

Im new to fishing,and have noticed that some groundbait mixing instructions suggest that its best to mix "the night b4" u go fishing with water from the venue,how can i do this when i live 20 miles away from the place i intend to fish?Im a bit confused lol. :wallbash:

some baits need soaked the night before to help you get fishing fast. the crushed hemp seed can take a fair while to soak up enough water for use. just use tap water.

i dont do it with ordinary ground bait though as it doesnt take too long to get it prepared on the bank and prefer it that way, seems fresher.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I personally think the whole use water from the venue thing is a load of old tosh.

Unless I want a dryish feeder mix to use in a cage in shallow water I mix all groundbait at home the night before using tap water.

I have an old britta jug and fill it up to mix groundbait or prepare expander pellets about an hour or so before preparing.

By mixing it the night before all the particle's take on plenty of water and belive me they can take on a fair bit.

I always riddle the dry mix as it is surprising how many big bits and bobs are in it.

I then slowly add water to the mix in a big mixing bowl and vigourosly stir the mix.

I do this until all the mix is quite damp but not soaking wet.

Let it settle for 5 mins

Riddle

Riddle again

If not damp enough add very small amounts of water whilst mixing.

Let in settle

Riddle

Riddle again

Once it is right - Scoop up some in one hand and squeeze - it will form a lump with ease and should break up easily back down to a crumb by jiggling your fingers and have very few lumps if any.

Scoop and a load with both hands and drop back ontop of rest - it should just about look like its alive - individual particles seem to have a life of their own as - anyone who mixes alot of grounbait will know what I mean.

Leave in something with a lid on overnight.

Next morning check it - sometimes a little water may be needed but not very often.

I fear I may have mixed to much in my life to be talking about it looking/feeling alive but when its done right it does - you can honestly feel it and see it - where did I put them green pills? :D

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Guest Chris Perch

I often use water from the water butt in my garden as its as natural as lake water and has not been treated like tap water is.

Definately put it through a riddle a couple of times to get the lumps out when going for anything other than carp

But if you are adding maggots hemp corn or any other freebies add them once your happy the mix is fine enough (you should be able to make a firm ball but it must break apart into crumb test it with your hands or in the edge of the lake where you can see how it reacts.

A well riddled groundbait will be quite active once balled in and wont feed the fish too much which will keep the fish grubbing about for the freebies and your hook bait

an atomiser spray from a garden centre is quite usefull to dampen it down on warm days where it can dry out quickly

hope this helps

I often use water from the water butt in my garden as its as natural as lake water and has not been treated like tap water is.

Definately put it through a riddle a couple of times to get the lumps out when going for anything other than carp

But if you are adding maggots hemp corn or any other freebies add them once your happy the mix is fine enough (you should be able to make a firm ball but it must break apart into crumb test it with your hands or in the edge of the lake where you can see how it reacts.

A well riddled groundbait will be quite active once balled in and wont feed the fish too much which will keep the fish grubbing about for the freebies and your hook bait

an atomiser spray from a garden centre is quite usefull to dampen it down on warm days where it can dry out quickly

hope this helps

If balling in I will take the amount I need leaving the rest aside and add freebies then feed.

For the feeder / pole or topping up I only add freebies when needed - I then know rough amounts feed and the freebies dont sit in the groundbait which I feel can ruin bait if left in it to long.

EG on the feeder plug one end of block end with groundbait , add freebies, plug other end then cast.

If balling in I will take the amount I need leaving the rest aside and add freebies then feed.

For the feeder / pole or topping up I only add freebies when needed - I then know rough amounts feed and the freebies dont sit in the groundbait which I feel can ruin bait if left in it to long.

EG on the feeder plug one end of block end with groundbait , add freebies, plug other end then cast.

PS - at end of seesion any unused groundbait has no freebies in it and can be frozen.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

A trick I can do with my groundbait (you would use as method ball or in a method feeder) if I'm lazy and make it at the lake is this.

I use a two quart plastic freezer bag. Do the stuff others suggest. SPEED up absorbtion by sealing the bag and turning the heater in my truck on high. Fluff mix frequently until in gets as warm as the heater will warm it. I usually have a "good" product in less than 30 minutes. (You can do this while in route to the lake if you can stand the heater and fan being on high).

I agree with others - I often make ground bait I can nibble on myself. I don't use pond water and don't believe it matters all that much.

Phone

Phone, there was a small debate on this a while ago here about tap water and pond,loch,river water.

someone pointed out the chlorine in tap water but my opinion on that is its so minimal its highly unlikely to to be a factor in wither or not the fish wants to eat it.

Andy,

They (whoever they is) may be correct but I'm with you. As a practical matter I am quite lazy. Maybe we should say - - don't do as I do - do as I say.

In serious testing we always used distilled in bait.

Phone

I know the aquarium guys better not use "fresh tap water" for total replacement without letting it set for a day or so (maybe they have chemicals also??)

Phone,

i only add about 200ml of water or less to my ground bait on the bank so the chlorine content in that would be seriously diluted by the time the ground baits in loch.

as for the aquarium. i do large water changes every two weeks, roach like to crap alot. not had any problems so far. i dont have 5 buckets to leave sitting around for a day and im kind of against adding chemicals. got nice soft water here in Scotland so that helps a great deal as does the well established filter.

im always checking water chemistry after these large changes and its always been stable.

I try and mix my groundbait up the night before as it allows the grains and breadcrumbs to swell. This makes for a lighter fluffier groundbait that breaks up more rapidly. I don't worry about using tap water. By my reckoning, any chlorine will have become diluted beyond any measurable amount once the bait hits the water. I do use the liquid from tinned sweetcorn and / or the liquid from simmering hempseed though as that is more likely to be detected by fish.

You can freeze groundbait too. This gives the best of both worlds - cponveniance and fluffiness. I also freeze white bread slices before whizzing them through the blender then re-freeezing the crumbs. This makes great cloud groundbait when fishing breadflake for mullet.

Regards, Clive