Groundbait mix the night before?

bomber253

I used to do some match fishing with my old man before it got too serious and I changed to pleasure/specimen fishing. I would only mix (and still do) my groundbait the evening before if I was targeting bream as I believed that they weren't fond of an active mix. If it was roach that would be making up the bulk of the catch then I would mix it on the morning of the match. Most groundbait mixes intended for roach contain grilled hemp which is a very active ingredient which floats up off the bottom and gets the roach in a feeding frenzie. If you mixed these grounbaits the evening before the grilled hemp will soak up water and would be nowhere near as active.

Generally I think it's good practice to mix groundbait the evening before a session and to be honest not many people fish exclusively for roach now.

I also use the water from my fish tank for mixing my groundbait as I've always been a little worried about the chemicals in tap water. I've never done any tests but I believe that a big part of the success I've had in fishing is based on confidence so I won't use water which 'could' deter the fish.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

If i mix the night before, i tend to use some addative to soak the particles.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I don't think I've ever mixed groundbait the night before, but I do take my time and mix it very gradually and carefully on the bank, and then let it stand for a while before mixing again with extra water if needed. It might be paranoia but I would only use lake water to mix it with, not tap water.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 8 years later...

Just resurrecting this, as it came up on a search. Just wondering who here would rather avoid tap water and mix on the day, instead of the night before?

There's no doubting that tap water tastes different to me. I have to filter it before I can drink it. Can fish really tell the difference?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It doesn't bother wild caught coarse fish, or wild caught exotic fish in the aquarium.

They all feed like there's no tomorrow after a water change, and I change at least 50% at a time.

Very often a water change stimulates them to spawn!

I really can't see it putting fish off feeding on a groundbait mix at all.

• Like 1

All,

Carp can tell the difference 100%. The question is does it matter?  My experience has been nope, doesn't matter. 

It is highly unlikely that even fundamental side by side have not been evaluated.  CARP likely have the most sensitive lateral line system of all that are found in the UK.

Phone 

All,

As a sidse note - I would offer there will be no two British anglers would give the same definition for the word :  G R O U N D B A I T - HASN'T HAPPENED between about 1969 and today. Who knows what groundbait is, substance and purpose.

Phone

8 hours ago, Elton said:

Just resurrecting this, as it came up on a search. Just wondering who here would rather avoid tap water and mix on the day, instead of the night before?

There's no doubting that tap water tastes different to me. I have to filter it before I can drink it. Can fish really tell the difference?

Not drunk tap water if at all possible for 30 years ,a nearby village water was so bad we (angling at a lake) preferred to drink the pond water! We installed a reverse osmosis system at the last house but it wasted far more water than it produced so we downgraded to a 6 stage one here ,tastes tasteless lol

I dont think most fish will detect the minute amount of chlorine in ground bait with tap water in it but if anglers wanted to use chlorine free water use a water butt in the garden ,not a lot of rain here at the moment so please if its open put some chicken wire over it a few years ago (actually bloody 40 years thinking on it) a very tame robin disappeared  and a week or so later found it in our water butt ,it obviously fell in and couldnt get out.  We covered it with mesh but pushed down the center so the birds could hop down to the water at least halfway down then get out .

I would have thought using pond water when you arrived it would be ready by the time you had set up? It would also be a bit lighter carrying it aswell the only bait i prepared the night before was tares hemp and corn

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I’ve always mixed my groundbaits up on the bank simply because I didn’t want to carry too much as my tackle and bait weighed heavy enough allready without carrying any water in our groundbaits.

We usually had about an hour (or more) to setup before a match anyway which was ample time for us to blend and mix our groundbaits up and let it rest a bit.

And even now that I no longer fish matches; if I think it’s needed then I’ll still do the same and mix my groundbait on the bank; when I’m fishing for Tench and Crucians or some other species.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)