Rod & Reel

Elton

Posted on behalf of Zaf:

quote:

Hi,

Basically i need a rod and reel for freshwater fishing. I’m a total beginner but i want something with a bit of style so i don’t mind spending a little more.

Cheers

Zaf

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi Zaf. Need more information to be able to offer any suggestions.

- what species of fish

- what kind of fishing; e.g., float, ledger, lure

- what style of rod/reel; e.g., fixed spool, multiplier, center pin

When you say you can spend "a little more" are we talking £100, £500, £1000?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Try your local angling centre. When i started 18 months ago they helped me a lot.Didn't spend a fortune then, but since have!!!!!

Yet the rod and reel combo they sold me that day |I still use. You just need to find a great shop

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Mmmmmm,

Without asking what type of fishing you intend to try I'm going to suggest the John Wilson Avon/Barbel rod.

For under £100 you get a decent rod which has a quiver tip top section and a standard top section. In addition I think it also has an extension piece to make the rod longer if necessary.

I guess the test curve is about 1 1/4 lb through action which would be fine for most carp (if you dont want to break any records) tench, chub, barbel, perch, bream, fishing. It should be ok for smaller silver fish too providing you dont want to fish using a really light line.

If I could only have one rod it would be an Avon twin tip! Mine would, of course, be a Bob James Masterline but if you don't want to spend that kind of money the Wilson version is a great package.

[ 21. June 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: PeterK ]