connecting DVR so it can be monitored via internet.

chesters1

bugger ,now my son cannot connect,my "external" isp address has changed since yesterday .can i stop it changing?

i presume its because the hubs power is turned off at night?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

bugger ,now my son cannot connect,my "external" isp address has changed since yesterday .can i stop it changing?

i presume its because the hubs power is turned off at night?

Thats right Chesters.

what you need to do is request a static ip from bt. usually comes at an extra cost though. probably something like an extra fiver a month.

you could setup some software on your pc that will translate the external ip in to an address like http://chesters.no-ip.com

theres a few websites that offer these free. this is the one i use: http://www.no-ip.com/

that means the pc will need to be on 24/7 though as the software will only run on a pc.

id go with bt. or at least check the cost first ;)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

just an after thought chesters. i did a little googling and found out some dvr's have ddns(dynamic dns) function so you might not need the pc software and just specify the details of no-ip in the dvr setup.

whats the make and model of the dvr and ill have a scout around.

its a pretty basic 4 channel one from maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-4ch-h.264-ne...e-access-617714

crappy website for the maker no response to an email i sent friday!

the handbook mentions a free DDNS service but going to the site nothing is free! all it does though is translate the IP address using a website? .

perhaps if the HUB stays on the external IP address will remain the same?

the book of words for it is here

http://www.storageoptions.com/assets/docs/...ual%20v.1.3.pdf

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

if you leave the router on the ip address could remain the same for days, weeks, months. depends if your router does any sort of auto maintenance restarts or attempts to renew the ip every so often, gets updates from bt etc.

give it a try and see how long it goes before it changes.

looking at the manual it looks as though you can only use the 3 ddns providers: 3322, DYNDNS or PERFECTEYES. 2 of which dont seem to be around anymore. and dyndns stopped their free service a few years back i think.

is there anything else listed under Service in the ddns menu. would be great if you could use no-ip.com they have a free version and have done for many years.

if you ever decide to go for a static ip with bt dont go for the 5 static ip addresses they try to flog. they are major pain in the arse to get working properly. i made this mistake a while ago and just couldnt get it to work with the office servers. neither could one of my friends who worked for Dell, in their networking & Servers department funnily enough.

state you only want 1 static ip if you ever decide to go for one.

if you leave the router on the ip address could remain the same for days, weeks, months. depends if your router does any sort of auto maintenance restarts or attempts to renew the ip every so often, gets updates from bt etc.

give it a try and see how long it goes before it changes.

looking at the manual it looks as though you can only use the 3 ddns providers: 3322, DYNDNS or PERFECTEYES. 2 of which dont seem to be around anymore. and dyndns stopped their free service a few years back i think.

is there anything else listed under Service in the ddns menu. would be great if you could use no-ip.com they have a free version and have done for many years.

if you ever decide to go for a static ip with bt dont go for the 5 static ip addresses they try to flog. they are major pain in the arse to get working properly. i made this mistake a while ago and just couldnt get it to work with the office servers. neither could one of my friends who worked for Dell, in their networking & Servers department funnily enough.

state you only want 1 static ip if you ever decide to go for one.

in the ddns menu there is 3322,dydns and "no-ip" which is the one you mention

i will leave the hub on 24/7 and see if the ip address changes .cheers

Edited by chesters1