Pole Fishing Question

Rolo

I am a beginner to fishing and have only been fishing for a few months and haven't really had anything 'big' on the end of my pole but today i hooked in to 4 carp! .. but each time they all made a dart for it away from my pole and they escaped everytime and i wasn't able to control it.. they didnt snap my line or my hook so it must of been how i was controlling it.. i only managed to keep each one hooked for about 10 seconds :( I am hoping you can tell me how to control a carp when i hook into one in the future as i really want to land one! I am using a size 12 elastic and an 8M pole. Thanks for any help!

I am a beginner to fishing and have only been fishing for a few months and haven't really had anything 'big' on the end of my pole but today i hooked in to 4 carp! .. but each time they all made a dart for it away from my pole and they escaped everytime and i wasn't able to control it.. they didnt snap my line or my hook so it must of been how i was controlling it.. i only managed to keep each one hooked for about 10 seconds :( I am hoping you can tell me how to control a carp when i hook into one in the future as i really want to land one! I am using a size 12 elastic and an 8M pole. Thanks for any help!

The idea with pole fishing is to let the elastic do all the work. Keep the pole relatively high and above the fish where you can. If the fish makes a lunge whilst elastic is fully stretched you may need to dip the pole to prevent it snapping but other than that it should be pretty straightforward!

oh yeah, don't bee too eager to ship in your sections either.

make sure your elastic is lubricated (you can buy lubricants but a spray of silicon lubricant from halford works fine for me (though i'll probably get shot down for suggesting that as it probably knacks your elastic os similar)), also, if you're using barbless hooks, keep the elaastic and line tight between you and the fish, the elastic should do the cushioning, as mentioned.

if you do get a beast compared to your set up, you may manage to slow it down by using the water as a break, put your pole end in the water and it can give a little more cushion, but equally you could lose the fish as you wont know what's going on, so only use this if you really have hooked into a zoo creature.

tight lines, my first pole caught carp was 4lb, and just when I thought I knew what I was doing after having a few more, I hit a zoo creature and thankfully had a bloke next to me advising me how to deal with it, that was a 13lb fish so i was grateful for his help.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Only one tip i'd give. Like someone else said patience it suprising how big a carp you can land compared to the elastic rating. What i've found is dont strike sideways on a pole just lift it up so the pressure is directly above them. they tend to dart down wards and plod around in circles more. if you strike sideways or are swinging the float out beyond the length of the pole they tend to run more away from the direction you pull.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I use pole most of the time and i think best way to strike is sideways, ive found i get better hooking and also doin this usually means the fish dont dart forwards and bottom the elastic quickly and pull the hook or break you.

Once hooked if it takes off i slam about 12 inches of pole under water and i found when doing this the fish comes back to you as the elastic pulls back the fish. Allways keep around a 30 degree angle of the fish so your top section doesnt fly off, which ive seen happen to people.

84854438.png