Would this put you off of car ferries?

corydoras

Youtube Video ->

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It looks like a somewhat rough ride that would have been smoother at a slower speed so most likely there was some reason the boat was hitting it so hard. No autos or passengers at that moment is a possibility or some sort of current that made it dangerous to run at a slow bell.

The ride was bumpy but the boat was handling it well so for folks who get seasick, a terrible trip but otherwise, not a problem.

I would happily ride. Jan would not. Based on that, I think a car ferry in rough weather is a thing I'd have to give a pass.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It looks like a somewhat rough ride that would have been smoother at a slower speed so most likely there was some reason the boat was hitting it so hard. No autos or passengers at that moment is a possibility or some sort of current that made it dangerous to run at a slow bell.

The ride was bumpy but the boat was handling it well so for folks who get seasick, a terrible trip but otherwise, not a problem.

I would happily ride. Jan would not. Based on that, I think a car ferry in rough weather is a thing I'd have to give a pass.

I'd be OK too. I think the clip was shot in NZ. There was a big storm forecast, if she had remained in dock she would have been smashed to bits by the quay so they took her out to sea to sit out the storm.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

looks like my old fishing trips of yesteryear but we usualy hit the waves side on! much more fun ,the only time we ran for shelter we ended up parked on the benbridge reef (handy for the lifeboat though) for a day until the tide came back in and we found the dingy with all the petrol for the outboards (nice lifeboatman parked it next to the building they use) :oops: we knew the string to the dingy in tow looked a little thin :D it parted in the middle of the night as we lay at anchor riding the storm out

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It wouldn't bother me as much as this would- That is, if it were mine after a crossing.
Hi Jeff. I've seen stuff like that before. Once I worked on a ro-ro car ferry. One night during a rough crossing an articulated lorry trailer broke free from it's lashings and took charge of the car deck. It was too dangerous for anyone to go onto the car deck and do anything about it, about 1/4 of the cars on the same deck were totalled. Edited by corydoras

Hi Jeff. I've seen stuff like that before. Once I worked on a ro-ro car ferry. One night during a rough crossing an articulated lorry trailer broke free from it's lashings and took charge of the car deck. It was too dangerous for anyone to go onto the car deck and do anything about it, about 1/4 of the cars on the same deck were totalled.

Was that by any chance on the Swansea to Cork run during the '70's? The trailer was carrying crown tops and they spilled out. To get them all off the ship they used a calf dozer to push them onto tarps which were then towed off. The damage to the ship took eight hours to repair. There was an Austin 1100 pulled out that was about 2 feet high. It was a wild night, I drove from Tralee to Cork during the storm towing my boat and that was pretty frightening. There was no food available at Cork harbour, but my mates and I had a load of frozen crab, so we opened that up and ate some of it during the extended wait. the ship was hours late arriving because it had to ride out the storm for quite some time.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

I've had a few trips like that across the Pentland Firth on the way up to Orkney on the old St Ola. I remember rounding into Hoy sound and surfing down the front of the rollers. Real buttock clenching stuff :P

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I've had a few trips like that across the Pentland Firth on the way up to Orkney on the old St Ola. I remember rounding into Hoy sound and surfing down the front of the rollers. Real buttock clenching stuff :P
I used to work on the old Peter Pan AKA SF Panther AKA St Clair, Aberdeen-Lerwick. Now there was a proper vomit comet.