What scares you when night fishing?

twochay

I fish an estate lake which has had loads of Ghostly happenings over the years. it is situated near an old roman road between London and St. Albans. and two pubs either side of our lake appeared in the Most Haunted programs.

We have hired it out for filming for several TV series and I saw it once in an old hammer horror film in black & white where a horse and carriage crossed the bridge into a strange fog and entered 'The Village of the Damned".

There are several people who have experienced ghostly happenings down there, including the people we hired to dredge the lake using a Mudcat once. They slept in a caravan on site for three months until their work was done.

One night at about 1am one of them was having a smoke outside when he heard a rushing noise coming up the driveway and as it got louder he saw a horse and carriage screaming across the bridge and the others all woke up with the noise. There are locked gates both before and after the bridge.

Another time I was night fishing for carp and my mate was fishing across the corner of the lake, it was dusk but not yet dark. later my mate said to me "who was that standing next to you earlier?" I shivered because there had been no one (that I knew about) standing anywhere near me earlier. He said the figure walked right up to the water next to me.

I have also had sleep paralysis several times when in my bivvie.

But I still like night fishing there in the summer, but not on my own.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not usually spooked at night even when I found a family of rats (6 of them in my landing net) once. One of my worst 'jump out of my skin moments' was actually in full day light (all be it very early on a June morning) many years ago when I was in my 6th form fishing one of the school lakes. It was utterly silent and still - gorgeous morning - when I was suddnely aware of warm breath on the back of my neck! Turned around to come face to face ( we're talking less than 6 inches here) with a roe deer. There was a nanosecond of shocked silence as we looked each other in the eyes before I yelped (OK screamed shattering the silence and flushing out every bit of wildlife within ½mile!) and the deer scarpered.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

rats are no bother my loacal pond WAS alive with them then the farmer let me lose with my air gun. what you realy got to woch out for is drunken chavs the b****rds niked 5 kilos of boiles and my landing net i onley woke up becaus they noked over my rod pod and set the alarms off!!

ive also had cows and sheep eating my boiles

what people dont know dont hurt em

life is like a pube on a toilet seat some times you just get **** off

I'm just dishonest. You can always trust an honest man to be dishonest.Honestly, it's the honest man you need to look out for, because you never know when he's going to do something incredibly stupid." - Jack Sparrow

I fish an estate lake which has had loads of Ghostly happenings over the years. it is situated near an old roman road between London and St. Albans. and two pubs either side of our lake appeared in the Most Haunted programs.

We have hired it out for filming for several TV series and I saw it once in an old hammer horror film in black & white where a horse and carriage crossed the bridge into a strange fog and entered 'The Village of the Damned".

There are several people who have experienced ghostly happenings down there, including the people we hired to dredge the lake using a Mudcat once. They slept in a caravan on site for three months until their work was done.

One night at about 1am one of them was having a smoke outside when he heard a rushing noise coming up the driveway and as it got louder he saw a horse and carriage screaming across the bridge and the others all woke up with the noise. There are locked gates both before and after the bridge.

Another time I was night fishing for carp and my mate was fishing across the corner of the lake, it was dusk but not yet dark. later my mate said to me "who was that standing next to you earlier?" I shivered because there had been no one (that I knew about) standing anywhere near me earlier. He said the figure walked right up to the water next to me.

I have also had sleep paralysis several times when in my bivvie.

But I still like night fishing there in the summer, but not on my own.

crikey I'll be having nightmares tonight now. :o

The canal where I sometimes fish is crawling with rats, I don't mind so much if I'm fishing on the "concrete" side as I know that they are just moving around in the bushes behind me. If I fish on the "field" side though where there is plenty of bushes all around it does sometimes sound as if they are co-ordinating some sort of ambush. Perhaps reading James Herberts Rats trilogy when I was young has made me a bit more nervous than I should be.

At another spot on the same canal I have also seen a hanging man. He'd hung himself off an old riverside crane. It was only in the daylight the next day that I realised that his face was actually just bolts on the crane hook and that his ghostly shroud was a sheet of plastic that the wind had tangled around the hook. Even now if I look up at it in the right light it looks like a hanging man.

The canal where I sometimes fish is crawling with rats, I don't mind so much if I'm fishing on the "concrete" side as I know that they are just moving around in the bushes behind me. If I fish on the "field" side though where there is plenty of bushes all around it does sometimes sound as if they are co-ordinating some sort of ambush. Perhaps reading James Herberts Rats trilogy when I was young has made me a bit more nervous than I should be.

At another spot on the same canal I have also seen a hanging man. He'd hung himself off an old riverside crane. It was only in the daylight the next day that I realised that his face was actually just bolts on the crane hook and that his ghostly shroud was a sheet of plastic that the wind had tangled around the hook. Even now if I look up at it in the right light it looks like a hanging man.

last friday the father in law and myself went down the local river, it was still dark as we started fishing.

a few hours latter a walker came up asking if anyone had a phone as he thought the was a body in the river, we ran up the bank to find he was right, it was a young man floating face down.

if it had drifted down to were we were fishing while it was still dark i think i would have s**t myself.

gatso.gif

Nothing as bad as dead bodies ( :o ) but there's something slightly creepy about Wingham at night. I love night fishing and enjoy the wierd rustlings in the undergrowth, but there's just something about Wingham that gives it an edge. It may be that the birds sing all night long, which is strange, or the remoteness and wildness of it. Maybe because I'm half wondering if the omniverous eels will slither out and start snacking on my toes as I'm sleeping...

Whatever it is it adds to the atmosphere. I don't feel it anywhere else.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Does Lionel Ritchie get any royalties? :P:P:P

:lol::lol::D

Now that is creepy! It's the hedgehogs singing 'Hello' that really freaks me out.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music