What scares you when night fishing?

twochay

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing as bad as dead bodies ( :o ) but there's something slightly creepy about Wingham at night. I love night fishing and enjoy the wierd rustlings in the undergrowth, but there's just something about Wingham that gives it an edge. It may be that the birds sing all night long, which is strange, or the remoteness and wildness of it. Maybe because I'm half wondering if the omniverous eels will slither out and start snacking on my toes as I'm sleeping...

Whatever it is it adds to the atmosphere. I don't feel it anywhere else.

I'm usually completely happy at Wingham at night time, apart from the night I heard the Beast of Bodmin moore somewhere behind me and nearly lost control of my bodily functions.

I remembered the next day it's close to Howletts Zoo and was probably a Lion or something.

One of my local waters is within the grounds of Knowsley Safari Park, one of the lads from a Carp Lake I fish is also a member of the club which controls the Lake in the Safari Park and decided to wind his mate up who was on there doing an overnighter. The Safari Park side of the Lake is out of bounds to Anglers for obvious reasons but you can see and hear all kinds of animals.

Anyway the lad I know turns up at the Lake in the middle of the night dressed in a Gorilla suit and creeps up behind his mates Bivvy and started shuffling around and grunting, his mate sticks his head out of the bivvy to see what's going on and sees a Gorilla! Apparently his feet didn't touch the ground as he ran into the lake to escape.

Edited by Rob Ward

Fly fishers will disagree with you as the larva of the mossy is the buzzer, a most successful fly Patten

strangly night fishing no one has mentioned mozzies that is a beast with no dicernable use

<small>[ 18. April 2005, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]</small>

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Anyway the lad I know turns up at the Lake in the middle of the night dressed in a Gorilla suit and creeps up behind his mates Bivvy and started shuffling around and grunting, his mate sticks his head out of the bivvy to see what's going on and sees a Gorilla! Apparently his feet didn't touch the ground as he ran into the lake to escape.

LOL! :lol:

The Gas

pirate.gif

I fish in Northern Germany at a small, secluded pond surrounded by woods. I don't normally sleep but stay awake as long as I am there. Like Northern Monkey, I have no problems with wild life, as you eventually get used to and identify each new noise.

However, I am usually there on my own and would be worried that people up to no good come to illegally fish there or cause other grief, mugging, etc.

I usually have a 6 Cell MagLite to keep me company!!

There are certainly Roe Deer there but have not seen any wild pigs. I have seen a large male pig in my local woods while walking the dog. Quite an impressive beast, very noisy and extremely powerful, commanding respect , especially when it started running towards us!! Not sure I would come off best in an encounter with one of them, but generally wild animals won't bother humans unless you threaten them or their young.

Steinbeisser

One thing that wasn't frightening; but was strange; was when we used to night fish a lake in Kent where there was a glut of hedgehogs; there seemed to be hedhogs scurrying about all night. One morning I woke up in my bivvie and found a hedghog fast asleep in my frying pan under the bedchair; it had licked out all the fat and fell asleep in the frying pan.

I've heard they are tasty but I didn't want to try eating one.

:P

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Only my own imagination coz once you start thinking about whats out there its the start of slippery slope to heading back to the car! I do a lot of solo night fishing on rivers, lochs and shore, however here is one of a few true tales.

Whilst fishing sea trout on the river Tyne with a pal, we arrived just before dusk and after setting up we decided to wait for the cover of darkness before venturing in. Billy who is around late 50's and a definite contender for the Abraham Lincon lookalike contest opted to start a couple of hundred yards upstream from where I was.

After taking an age to wade out to the respective marks trying not to make a ripple on the water we flicked out our flies. Not a breath of wind was there that night with only the moon for any sort of light reflecting off the water. After about an hour I felt a 'bump' to my rod tip on the back cast which was strange as I was in the middle of the river, however upon looking upstream I could see something quivering towards me on the top of the water. I struggled to focus on what it was as I watched small shape all the way to where it eventually settled 'on my gye net trailing in the water'. I lifted the net up to silhouette it only to find it was a bat!

Now billy was a avid nature enthusiast, therefore after whispering loudly in to the blackness, he responded requesting that I keep it until he could take a look at it. Billy found his way through the undergrowth to where I was still in the river, from which he waded out at a snails pace as not to cause any ripples. After inspecting every inch of the thing he decided to take it back to the bank side and place it in the bushes.

I watched him disappear in to the darkness without a sound before the rustle of leaves indicated that he was on the bank. After a minute or two I glanced towards where he had headed, from which the faint glow of his cigarette gave his position away among the branches. ' I wonder what kind it was he muttered' to which i replied 'ask that bloke standing behind you with the black cape and top hat on'.

The next thing I knew was the sound of a large splash and a bow wave coming off each of his legs as he steamed towards me through the water, cursing every step of the way!

Needless to say that was the end of the fishing on that beat for the night.

I am an avid fan of horror films, last year i watched "Dawn of the dead" the remake, about a week before i went fishing. Was doing an overnighter in the middle of feburay on Exmoor, all i could think about was the Zombies coming out of the lake and eating me. Ok i know it was unlikely to happen but i did not get much sleep. The wind, rain and hail did`nt help either.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

I have been discussing what scares us when doing nights with my mate. All sorts of silly things came up including: Ghosts ghost , people, satan demon , rabbits, panthers,lions, tigers, gypsys, murderers :mad: , thieves, tramps alsorts!

However none of these bother me, what does it for me is ........................ RATS!

I am terrified of them! It has affected my 25 years of Carping, it really has. I would love to fish certain waters and fish under my brolly for ease of moving onto fish but i cant, i have to completeley block any gap in my bivvy, i zip up completeley at night, again affecting my fishing. I go to france a couple of times a year but the first thing i ask is "have ya got rats?" If they have I dont go there!(Not that they would tell me when they have!)Bizzareley enough Coypu dont bother me whatso ever!

I always have a radio on at night so i cant here the evil creatures outside and if i do i up and leave doesnt matter what time it is!

If i get a run in the night i rattle the bivvy first and then run out stomping and shouting! Bad or what? My dad thinks it goes back to a time when he was pulling an old chicken coup down on our small holding (I was 7) and there was a nest underneath, they scattred and one run up my leg squeeling, i was hysterical and never recovered from my fear.

I need a shrink! It never stops me going though, i just endure the terror of darkness every night! And as I said i choose venues wiseley, not easy as most have RATS! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyone else share a fear of rats?

Rats i bloody hate them! :(

Bats, dont like them when they seem to fly at you, then they swoop down to any bit of light, ho no dont like bats.

TACKLIN DOWN'S A SIN!

http://fishsthelens.blogspot.com