What scares you when night fishing?

twochay

I havnt been on here for ages and I cant believe this post is still going! Amazing stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things scare me, depending on where I'm fishing: 1) stepping in a hole I can't see and breaking my leg or 2) (in urban areas) the scumbags that populate parks at night. Oh, and having my bobbins indicator unscrew from their chains and fall into the grass or the river is a thought that bothers me, too.

being out fishing at night in northern ireland was scary, in the bad old day's incase you got a visit from the men with the wooly faces(balaclava's) . it never happened(why would they be out looking for angler's) but it kept you on your toe's now your more likely to get a hug and a chat about how much we all love each other. not as exciting but a lot less painfull

Having spent the week before hearing a number of stories about large cats taking deer in the area, i was slightly concerned when I heard some scuffling in the undergrowth. I convinced myself that it was nothing. Then the moon popped out for a few seconds and I saw a huge shape on 4 legs, before it disappeared again.

I started talking to myself, but the snuffling got closer.

A deer had been found dead only 2 miles from mine, i was banging cans and grabbed my pen knife, though much use that would do me with the giant creature I was now imagining outside.

The thing was moving towards me, I turned my torch to it, two large eyes shone back at me, then blinked out.

My heart was racing, I grabbed a stick, I had a weapon in both hands,

and then the lurcher came into the full beam, what an idiot I felt, it was my neighbours dog, sam, who must have jumped the wall.

He'd seen my light and come to investigate.

my heart hadn't stopped racing by the time he'd drooled over my leg and had a few pats before heading back home..............

i packed up, i needed the bathroom.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 1 month later...
Guest flempike

To those scared of stinging, biting buzzing creatures, (like myself especially on a lakeboat) check out the section about insets in the book 'Fish, fishing and the meaning of life' by J. Paxman, which is hilarious. But not much help I'm afraid ...

I have only fished Wingham once at night, what scares the sh*te out of me is fishing Wingham at night and blanking again. :D

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I have been discussing what scares us when doing nights with my mate. All sorts of silly things came up including: Ghosts ghost , people, satan demon , rabbits, panthers,lions, tigers, gypsys, murderers :mad: , thieves, tramps alsorts!

However none of these bother me, what does it for me is ........................ RATS!

I am terrified of them! It has affected my 25 years of Carping, it really has. I would love to fish certain waters and fish under my brolly for ease of moving onto fish but i cant, i have to completeley block any gap in my bivvy, i zip up completeley at night, again affecting my fishing. I go to france a couple of times a year but the first thing i ask is "have ya got rats?" If they have I dont go there!(Not that they would tell me when they have!)Bizzareley enough Coypu dont bother me whatso ever!

I always have a radio on at night so i cant here the evil creatures outside and if i do i up and leave doesnt matter what time it is!

If i get a run in the night i rattle the bivvy first and then run out stomping and shouting! Bad or what? My dad thinks it goes back to a time when he was pulling an old chicken coup down on our small holding (I was 7) and there was a nest underneath, they scattred and one run up my leg squeeling, i was hysterical and never recovered from my fear.

I need a shrink! It never stops me going though, i just endure the terror of darkness every night! And as I said i choose venues wiseley, not easy as most have RATS! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyone else share a fear of rats?

Rats i bloody hate them! :(

Thers a couple of lakes near me that have plenty of rats espically on the island and like you say the bivey gets ziped up totally as thet scare the day lights out of me, but i have found a soloution to this problem for all you rat lovers, get some old pelets and hemp and place them about 20 feet from your bivey as then they bont bother you as they are to bisy eating, but the main thing that scares the living day lights out of me is those big white things that apeare from no where, yes the swan's last time i was out, one came from behind whilst the other just sat infront of me, whats worse i missed a screemer of a bight as i was rivited to my chair with fright.

Last August ,while on MKF Stour lake doing a tench session, I sat reading one of the angling weeklies and there was an article on the supposedly large number of wild big cats roaming our countryside , I heard a noise in the long grass behind the car and saw a pair of green eyes glinting in the darkness too high off the ground to be a fox or any other normal wildlife :o . I told my 10yr old son to get in the bivvy and then proceeded to throw a couple of stones in the general direction of the beast . It didn't flinch ! So I picked up my solid metal umbrella pole and slowly moved towards it making as much noise as possible . Still it didn't move by now I was within pouncing distance should it decide i was edible !! Still no movement . Finally I was right on top of it ..... turned out to be a pair of gloworms on a couple of stems of grass :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Your joking right? that or you are all 'big girl's blouses'.

Outside the UK ther might perhaps be dangerous creatures, I was visited by a herd of wild boar once while night fishin' in the mountains in germany, but that was more fascinating than scary. Have fished in bear country in the rockies, and its simple, dont fish at night!

i have just got in from a dusk which ran into 1 1/2 hours of darkness session alone in the lake district, cant imagine being scared...its sacred not scary.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Two things scare me, depending on where I'm fishing: 1) stepping in a hole I can't see and breaking my leg or 2) (in urban areas) the scumbags that populate parks at night. Oh, and having my bobbins indicator unscrew from their chains and fall into the grass or the river is a thought that bothers me, too.

Anna - a top tip for you nicked from a friend if you are worried about where you are going to step in the night when emerging from your bivvy when the alarm goes off:

Buy some isotopes, the ones about an inch long (usually for fitting on night fishing floats) (you can get them on ebay, only a few quid for 50). Before the sun goes down simply get a dozen, activate them and leave them on the ground to make a runway from the bivvy to your rods. Very useful for marking out any steps or avoiding holes. :)

www.myspace.com/boozlebear