What scares you when night fishing?

twochay

Good question, I used to night fish as a boy, my Mum used to drive me and a mate all the way to Marlow to fish the Thames.

Back then the only things I feared were the cold and falling in, that's before the days of bivies and thermals lol. Now I would never go night fishing unless it was inside a barbed wire fence with spotlights and guard dogs! I guess my worst fear is getting attacked by some hoodied gang of youths or some illegal immigrant armed with some North sea Cod catching kit and a baseball bat lol

I dont think its safe to night fish anywhere now, I havent even read this thread yet but thought I'd post then read others comments. I would love to night fish but the real fact is that it's not safe, and that from getting attacked, mugged, beaten up or worse.....

I wont go again...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

i dont get scared much, cos i dont believe in ghosts etc.

however me n my mate were doin a night fish once, havin a good laugh, few beers, plently of fish n so on. then at bout 5 am in morn it went so calm, the light had just started to come through and the mist was setting on the water. we were both tired n not speaking much at this point. the water rats, voles, shrew whatever were up to it all making really horrible noises as if being eaten. then my mates float sunk, he struck and pulled it in. as it got closer to the bank it got bigger n bigger and wasnt putting up much of a fight. we were both confused as to what it were and there were talks of a dead body. my mate got so scared that at about 10 meteres out he didnt want to pull it in. eventually it got in and it was just a load of old rubish (tins, clothes) all mashed up together. not very scary but at the time we were so convinced it was a dead body, we were seriously brickin it. ah the joys of a good night fish. :P

to hermes, dont be scared of a night fish. the way i see it, no fishermen have gone missing in wigan, just drug dealers. also do it with a few of your mates, that would have to be some brave gang to attack a few men, and also, i dont think attacking fishermen is a good idea seen as they are loaded up with knives, metal rods etc, chances r your are armed hevier that any hoody so bring it on.

Sleep paralysis. I went through a phase of becoming only half asleep at first light. I think was still dreaming, but it was so realistic that I couldn't be sure. I felt that something had jumped onto my chest and I was trying to will my arms and legs to move, but couldn't. I also felt as if I could see, but couldn't make the world look the right way up. It was absolutely terrifying, and after it had happened several nights in succession I was almost afraid to go again.

I,ve suffered from that too,not so much now as when i was in my teens,its real scary s**t,i thought i was being possesed by a ghost or something.It made me hear and see wierd things and sometimes i thought the 'ghost' was touching me up.When it first happened to me i tried to scream and nothing came out and couldn,t move but eventually i 'wriggled out of it.I think it's something to do with your body being physically tired and at the same time your mind being overactive.It doesn't scare me anymore because i know what it is and luckily it's never happened when i have had a fish take my bait.Getting back to the other stuff,wasps only sting you when you start flailing your arms about like a fanny,rats wont do you any harm,theyr'e only there cos they can smell your bait,mozzies are just annoying,chavs and antis can be seen off with the cosh i carry and snakes,well,i aint come across any of them yet so i don't know how i'd react.The only thing that scares me about night fishing is blanking.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a Police Officer, duings a power cut it was 3am in winter I chased l lad with a large dog. I realised I could hear a dog running towards me and growling :o . I drew my staff and shouted something along the lines of "go away you silly dog" only to see a few seconds later a Yorkshire Terrier puppy by my feet wagging its tail and laying on its back wanting a fuss. Its owner who was taking it for a walk gave a slightly strange look :clap:

Also whilst fishing out of sight of the main road at Fleetwood about 11.30pm in January a gang of about 20 teenagers both boys and girls approached me. All were drinking lager/cider and were rowdy. Something along the lines of "Oh dear, I'm in trouble here" went through my mind. My priest was up my sleeve and I considered how much my tackle was worth if I had to run. They spent about 25 minutes with me asking questions about fishing and what type of fish I might catch and were no problem at all. I'll NEVER judge teenagers in general again

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

I have been discussing what scares us when doing nights with my mate. All sorts of silly things came up including: Ghosts ghost , people, satan demon , rabbits, panthers,lions, tigers, gypsys, murderers :mad: , thieves, tramps alsorts!

However none of these bother me, what does it for me is ........................ RATS!

I am terrified of them! It has affected my 25 years of Carping, it really has. I would love to fish certain waters and fish under my brolly for ease of moving onto fish but i cant, i have to completeley block any gap in my bivvy, i zip up completeley at night, again affecting my fishing. I go to france a couple of times a year but the first thing i ask is "have ya got rats?" If they have I dont go there!(Not that they would tell me when they have!)Bizzareley enough Coypu dont bother me whatso ever!

I always have a radio on at night so i cant here the evil creatures outside and if i do i up and leave doesnt matter what time it is!

If i get a run in the night i rattle the bivvy first and then run out stomping and shouting! Bad or what? My dad thinks it goes back to a time when he was pulling an old chicken coup down on our small holding (I was 7) and there was a nest underneath, they scattred and one run up my leg squeeling, i was hysterical and never recovered from my fear.

I need a shrink! It never stops me going though, i just endure the terror of darkness every night! And as I said i choose venues wiseley, not easy as most have RATS! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyone else share a fear of rats?

Rats i bloody hate them! :(

the only thing that worries me when im night fishing is when i get home after a good night and have to tell my wife im going back again. lol

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Used to be rats, but since fishing in France it’s got to be Coypu, they are big bu**ers. Also down in south of france its the wild boar, one of those in your bivvy and you know it.

Tight Lines

You get sanglier all over France, from Normandy to the suburbs of Paris. It's exceedingly rare for someone to be attacked by sanglier.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

And when you wake up in the morning with one in your mouth.................................
You know you've been sharing your bivvy with the wrong type. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I was visited by a herd of wild boar once while night fishin' in the mountains in germany

...and we have them at a water I fish in East Sussex. There are some big roach-rudd hybrids in there, and in winter you have to fish into the dusk to catch them. The boar become active about then, but rarely show themselves. My mates can hear them shuffling and snuffling in the undergrowth, but I cannot (getting deafer still with age). However, I can smell them! Not as strong as peccary (S American wild pigs) but detectable.

I'm flying out to fish in warthog country this evening. :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...