Spinning for trout thread

AddictedToScopex

I wouldn't even consider fishing tidal water in the coarse closed season.

If a bailiff comes along, it's just not going to wash that you are spinning for brownies and you risk a very big fine for fishing for migratory trout/salmon without the appropriate licence.

Stick to the fast water over gravel and don't even be tempted to fish the slacks in the side for perch because you will get done.

Even legitimately targeting the trout, you will catch a lot of perch and chub and before June 16th, I tend to unhook these in the water where possible.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't even consider fishing tidal water in the coarse closed season.

If a bailiff comes along, it's just not going to wash that you are spinning for brownies and you risk a very big fine for fishing for migratory trout/salmon without the appropriate licence.

Good advice. I flyfish a tidal stretch for mullet, and as there is a seatrout run there is no way a bailiff would believe I'm after mullet (despite the small fly), so I buy a salmon/seatrout licence (not too expensive at the pensioner's rate)

Never seen a bailiff there yet though :whistling:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have no reason to disbelieve you, what you report may well be the case where you are and have fished. Here if one is in possesion of a licence (the standard coarse and non migratory trout type) and using tackle which is reasonable for catching brown trout with, and at a time when those fish are in season, then it matters not what a bailiff might believe. After all that is what the licence is for, otherwise there would be a coarse fishing one ans a seperate game fishing one (for all species/types of game fish). Any prosicution for illegal persuit of migratory fish, without any further evidence wouldn't stand up in court and is unlikely to get past the CPS anyway. Don't allow yourself to be bullied, know what you are about.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

All,

My post reads that I intended to fish the NON tidal stretch. Thanks for all the info so far though. Very helpful. It seems I cannot do this until the season reopens anyway. I dont know where I got the idea that I could. I have never actually done it outside the coarse season but was always sure I could. :blink:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

All,

My post reads that I intended to fish the NON tidal stretch. Thanks for all the info so far though. Very helpful. It seems I cannot do this until the season reopens anyway. I dont know where I got the idea that I could. I have never actually done it outside the coarse season but was always sure I could. :blink:

Is that a club ruling, or an EA regional ruling ? If you intended fishing the Ribble itself, the presence of salmon/seatrout would account for the ban. BTW does the no-spinning rule also apply to salmon/seatrout anglers ?

"No spinning for trout" is certainly not a general rule - so you might be able to fish elsewhere (disadvantage - you may have to burn some fuel and expend some time in the process)

That brings us back to the idea of fishing small streams which is what I advised - many are too small to be of interest to clubs - asking the farmer might just get you some excellent fishing - although down here in the SE those days are long gone.

Just a word of warning - if you go for hill streams in sheep country, you may find they are fishless due to the use of sheep dip that destroys all invertebrate life (and hence starves the trout). It's use is illegal now, but since when has that stopped a thrifty farmer who has already got a stock of drums of dip in his barn ? Found that in Wales a couple of years ago - could find no trout in a beautiful-looking stream, thought I was losing my touch, and then realised there were no dippers or wagtails there either. Turned over a few rocks in the stream - no invertebrate life whatsoever. Now, if I want to fish in such country, turning rocks is the first thing I do.

Don't give up !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Is that a club ruling, or an EA regional ruling ? If you intended fishing the Ribble itself, the presence of salmon/seatrout would account for the ban. BTW does the no-spinning rule also apply to salmon/seatrout anglers ?

"No spinning for trout" is certainly not a general rule - so you might be able to fish elsewhere (disadvantage - you may have to burn some fuel and expend some time in the process)

That brings us back to the idea of fishing small streams which is what I advised - many are too small to be of interest to clubs - asking the farmer might just get you some excellent fishing - although down here in the SE those days are long gone.

Just a word of warning - if you go for hill streams in sheep country, you may find they are fishless due to the use of sheep dip that destroys all invertebrate life (and hence starves the trout). It's use is illegal now, but since when has that stopped a thrifty farmer who has already got a stock of drums of dip in his barn ? Found that in Wales a couple of years ago - could find no trout in a beautiful-looking stream, thought I was losing my touch, and then realised there were no dippers or wagtails there either. Turned over a few rocks in the stream - no invertebrate life whatsoever. Now, if I want to fish in such country, turning rocks is the first thing I do.

Don't give up !

Thanks vagabond. Interesting post.

I read the byelaw incorrectly. I have been unable to find where it says that I cannot spin for trout but would I have to get a game license to be able to do this when out of the normal coarse season?

No. You only need a different licence to fish for salmon and sea trout. Brown trout and rainbows (where present) are covered by the same EA licence that you use for coarse fishing.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No. You only need a different licence to fish for salmon and sea trout. Brown trout and rainbows (where present) are covered by the same EA licence that you use for coarse fishing.

So It would appear I was correct in thinking I could fish for them now then? I am having trouble finding the byelaw that says I cant however I was informed by another member on here that it wasnt allowed.

You'd be amazed at how many people haven't got a clue.

I actually carry a copy of the byelaws as copied above and have forced several moaners to shut up by showing them what the rules actually say.

You'd be amazed at how many people haven't got a clue.

I actually carry a copy of the byelaws as copied above and have forced several moaners to shut up by showing them what the rules actually say.

Good for you, thats one way of doing it.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"