MVPS Host

Cranfield

I don't have the fastest Internet connection and have noticed when loading websites, or navigating around websites (Incl AN), that I am often waiting for "Facebook, Google,Counters and other things to be loaded before I get where I want to be.

Looking around the Internet to find ways of speeding things up I have found MVPS Host, this looks just the tool for the job , but I am wondering if there are any downsides to installing this.

Also, all the blurb relates to Internet Explorer, does it work with any browser ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

yes it will work with any browser. and its pretty cool.

i wouldnt want to use software to alter that file though. i would do it manually. is there a list of the urls available from the mvps thingy that you can copy and paste.

the only downside is if you block google.com you wont ever be able to get on to google.

if it adds "ads.google.com" for example then jobs a good'un and where ever you see a google ad box on a website it will get replaced with page cannot be displayed or what ever.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

This is where I saw most of the information, http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm , it appears you download a file.

I am not sure how selective you can be and I imagine the list of urls is enormous.

Its possible that you have to create "exceptions" to their list, to avoid blocking off sites you need to contact.

This is where I saw most of the information, http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm , it appears you download a file.

I am not sure how selective you can be and I imagine the list of urls is enormous.

Its possible that you have to create "exceptions" to their list, to avoid blocking off sites you need to contact.

the list is very very basic it looks like this:

127.0.0.1 ads.google.com

it basically makes the browser think that ads.google.com is 127.0.0.1 whch is your local network address and since there shouldnt be anything their to load it just comes up blank.

found the list, it is a big one: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

copy everything after this text:

# [Start of entries generated by WinHelp2002]## [Misc A - Z]

and append it (paste) at the end of your host file so you dont overwrite anything else that may be in the file.

to edit hosts file

1. navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

2. find the file called hosts.

3. open with notepad (if using vista run notepad as admin), you will need to select "Open with" as its not your usual type of file.

4. paste

5. save

check that when you have saved the file it hasnt created another hosts file called hosts.txt. this happens in vista if you havnt opened the file in notepad as admin correctly and doesnt allow overwriting of the original.

done :)

it appears you wont need to remove any of them as i think they are just ad providers

Edited by Andy_1984

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated, but damn, I thought it would be easier than that.

I will have to spend some time looking around my PC, with my limited technical expertise I am not sure how to navigate to my drivers. :unsure:

i downloaded the installer thing they provide and its not suspicious or anything. all it does is replace your existing hosts file with the one they have.

use that if you want. i doubt you have anything inside your existing hosts file that would be affected by replacing it with the mvps one.

heres the file they provide: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip

extract and run mvsp.bat

i would at least advise you check your own hosts file before doing it though. if all that is in it is 127.0.0.1 localhost then it will be cool to just run the bat file to do the hard work for you.

to navigate to the ETC folder that contains the hosts file do this

open up "my computer"

double click on local disk C

double click system32

double click drivers

double click etc

Just to be pedantic 127.0.0.1 is not the address of the local IP address of your computer. 127.0.0.1 is your IP stack's loopback address. It is not connected to any network adaptor. It is there to allow techies to test and troubleshoot IP issues without having to worry about issues that may be caused by bugs in drivers or thinks of that ilk. Making the hostfile too big will slow down your system, because your IP stack will check every address in the hostfile when trying to resolve a hostname to an IP address before doing a DNS lookup.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

couldnt be arsed going in to all that.

the system will slow down once the files over 135kb according to that website but they have a fix for that by disabling the dns client.... ugh getting messier.

Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)

Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties - click Stop

Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"

Select: Manual (recommended) or Disabled click Apply/Ok and restart. [more info]

personally id stick to some sort of ad blocking plugin for your browser, cranfield.

Edited by Andy_1984