Wingham Fish-In Sat May 19th to Mon May 21st

Steve Burke

Or you you could fish 2 rods all-out for the tench and the third all-out for the perch (in the daytime, at least)?

LOL My brother Russ did this last year - fished two feeders for the tench and float fished a worm in the margins hoping for a perch and picked up a 9lb tench on the float rod :)

Mat

Mat

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would it be a faux pas to target the carp on the coarse lake? I've read on the Wingham website that there are four known forties.

It would be fine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Would it be a faux pas to target the carp on the coarse lake? I've read on the Wingham website that there are four known forties.

I connected with one of those beasts at Wingham at 5.30 in the morning whilst Tench fishing. Gave me the run around for 15-20 minutes then when it was a couple of rod lengths out and I was reaching for the landing net, my line snapped. :cry: :cry: :cry:

After I'd calmed down, I checked the line and it looked like it had taken me over a gravel bar that had nicked the line. Got a quick look at it as it was coming in and it was at least a 30, maybe bigger.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I bit of advice from the Wingham guys (especially Steve B if he has time). Everytime I go to Wingham I think about targetting the Perch but I always get distracted by the Tench..... now this might happen again but I thought I would get some advice :-). Do the perch feed that much in May at Wingham? My only attempts so far at Wingham to catch a perch was float fishing but I would most likely be ledgering/bobbins this time, would you suggest just a heavy lead and longish hook length 18 inches or longer, or is there something better I could try? Bait wist I would be guessing lob worms would be best but what about feed? I was thinking chopped worms and red maggot both alive and dead, I know you can get groundbait additives for predators, are these any good? What sort of groundbait if any would be useful?

During the night I would be swicthing to probably fake maggots or something over the same spot for tench.

Any advice would be great, although as soon as I read previous catch reports I'm sure I will be tempted by giant tench again :-).

Edit - Would something like this with brown crumb work well.... http://www.ccmoore.com/worm-protein-extract-p-1288.html

Firstly May can be a good month for perch at Wingham. Later on small perch can become a nuisance, but the Fish-Ins (that have been held the same weekend in mid to late May for many years) have thrown up many a 3lb perch.

The Wingham perch usually spawn early May (as with all species at Wingham later than usual). This year with a late spring they may be just pre-spawn or just post-spawn. They may even be spawning but they don't all spawn at once.

Float fishing is to my mind by far the best way to catch the perch as the key is to find the right depth, and float fishing makes it easy to vary the depth by winding the float in yet still immediately being able to detect bites. There's also less resistance than with ledgering.

The depth feeding perch are at is usually light dependent. The greater the underwater visibility the deeper any feeding perch are likely to be. Perch are also attracted to movement, so again float fishing is a plus here.

Yes, I'd try chopped worm and maggots, with lobworm on the hook. The latter is an excellent and much underused tench bait at Wingham. In fact most of my early specimen tench at Wingham were caught on lobworm, sometimes tipped with a grain of corn, that by the way doesn't seem to put the perch off.

Rather than using groundbait I tend to add flavouring into my maggots, spicy flavourings working well. However groundbait can be an added attractant. The trouble is groundbait can create quite a disturbance and this is likely to spook any bream for some time, perhaps the rest of the weekend. The disturbance means that the last morning from just before dawn is therefore when I tend to fish for the perch, although they can feed all day on occasions.

If you do decide to leger I'd suggest a shorter hooklength than 18ins as the Wingham perch aren't tackle shy and tend to gulp baits down. This will reduce the risk of deephooking.

Most swims will produce perch but those with a sharp drop-off are particularly good. It's also worth fishing on the shady side of a bar or overhanging tree.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

You're welcome to try for them but there aren't that many, and all the disturbance on the Fish-In will make them even more difficult to catch.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Wow fish-in time!!

Always surprised how fast it comes round....

Last year i had a brace..

...on my leg!! :lol:

Looking forward to it but often suprised that it isn't always over subscribed!!

Its a special place..in a beautiful part of the country...

John "The Block" Westley

Firstly May can be a good month for perch at Wingham. Later on small perch can become a nuisance, but the Fish-Ins (that have been held the same weekend in mid to late May for many years) have thrown up many a 3lb perch.

The Wingham perch usually spawn early May (as with all species at Wingham later than usual). This year with a late spring they may be just pre-spawn or just post-spawn. They may even be spawning but they don't all spawn at once.

Float fishing is to my mind by far the best way to catch the perch as the key is to find the right depth, and float fishing makes it easy to vary the depth by winding the float in yet still immediately being able to detect bites. There's also less resistance than with ledgering.

The depth feeding perch are at is usually light dependent. The greater the underwater visibility the deeper any feeding perch are likely to be. Perch are also attracted to movement, so again float fishing is a plus here.

Yes, I'd try chopped worm and maggots, with lobworm on the hook. The latter is an excellent and much underused tench bait at Wingham. In fact most of my early specimen tench at Wingham were caught on lobworm, sometimes tipped with a grain of corn, that by the way doesn't seem to put the perch off.

Rather than using groundbait I tend to add flavouring into my maggots, spicy flavourings working well. However groundbait can be an added attractant. The trouble is groundbait can create quite a disturbance and this is likely to spook any bream for some time, perhaps the rest of the weekend. The disturbance means that the last morning from just before dawn is therefore when I tend to fish for the perch, although they can feed all day on occasions.

If you do decide to leger I'd suggest a shorter hooklength than 18ins as the Wingham perch aren't tackle shy and tend to gulp baits down. This will reduce the risk of deephooking.

Most swims will produce perch but those with a sharp drop-off are particularly good. It's also worth fishing on the shady side of a bar or overhanging tree.

Thanks Steve. It depends on the conditions and swim if I'll try float fishing.

Will perch get hooked by bolt rigged maggots? I'm haven't watched perch feed much but they do tend to inhale baits so would bolt rigged red maggots on a shortish braid hook length work? Don't they move away quickly with the bait to stop other perch getting it? This might help set the hook?

The idea for the ground was to just get worm juices, some form of attractant out into the swim possibly with a Spod, I would be doing the spodding earlier on in the day I think and fishing lob worms over the top until night.

Going fishing tomorrow in the hope of trying some new rigs on an easy water....... Fingers crossed :-)

Edit - I was thinking about using tinned tuna fish to get more fish flavour into the water would this help or hinder the perch fishing? I know they don't like sea baits so i'm guessing it wouldn't help and would only attract tench and eels?

Edited by Errrm

On reflection I wouldn't want anyone specifically targeting the carp.

Indeed only a very few of my own syndicate members are allowed to do so until July 15th. In fact there's now a 2 1/4lb test curve limit at this time of year. It wouldn't be fair on those syndicate members who can't carp fish to allow carping on the Fish-In.

The reason is that I'm trying to keep the pressure off the carp as much as is practical until they're fully-grown. This is because the more pressured they are the less they grow. The restrictions give them a kind of close season as they can move out of range of the lighter gear.

If it's any consolation I can't recall a single big carp being caught on a Fish-In. If you hook one at range there's a high chance of being cut off on the sharp gravel bars. Indeed, they're often spawning then, which is one of the reasons for choosing this time of year for the Fish-In.

But there's certainly a good chance of specimens of other species. In fact it's normal for half the guests to catch personal bests!

Thanks Steve. It depends on the conditions and swim if I'll try float fishing.

Will perch get hooked by bolt rigged maggots? I'm haven't watched perch feed much but they do tend to inhale baits so would bolt rigged red maggots on a shortish braid hook length work? Don't they move away quickly with the bait to stop other perch getting it? This might help set the hook?

The idea for the ground was to just get worm juices, some form of attractant out into the swim possibly with a Spod, I would be doing the spodding earlier on in the day I think and fishing lob worms over the top until night.

Going fishing tomorrow in the hope of trying some new rigs on an easy water....... Fingers crossed :-)

Edit - I was thinking about using tinned tuna fish to get more fish flavour into the water would this help or hinder the perch fishing? I know they don't like sea baits so i'm guessing it wouldn't help and would only attract tench and eels?

Yes, you can catch the perch on bolt rigged maggots. Of course with larger baits a running rig is preferable.

I've tried worm extract several times over the years but I surprisingly can't say with any certainly it's helped. On the other hand spicy flavours definitely have.

I've never tried tinned tuna so can't speak from experience. However, as you say, perch don't seem to like sea baits so an alternative may be better.