Where do they go?

10 brownie points

I have a OSM 404 boat which is my baby, and I love it very much suit’s my fishing :D easily transported great when sea or pike fishing, but now I am after buying 2 stainless steel flush mounted rod holders,

what I need to know is what are the rules I should abide by when fitting these to the boat? Position, angle and any other helpful hints.

All advise greatly accepted. B)

Edited by 10 brownie points

Personally I don't like this type of rod holder. I find that lifting the rod up and out of the holder drops fish. The type I use are the berkeley quick set ones that the rods sit in and you simply pick it up and put it down. I have been using them for about 5 years almost weekly without any problem. It was put to me that the stems break, but as they have a bolt running down the centre of them I can't see how it is possible. maybe there are some clones about. They come with a variety of mounts that include flat surfaces vertical surface and rails.

rodholder2.jpg

494.jpg

Hiya,

Stoaty a word of warning over those rod holders you are using, if the rod is not put in it perfectly it can fall out easily if the boat is hit by even a small wave. I found out the hard way a few times, luckily I fit a lanyard on all my rods when they are in holders so I didn't lose any of them. I binned them all not long after that and made up my own customised rod holder.

To solve the dropped fish, fish with just enough drag to hold then if you get a take your not putting as much pressure on the fish as you lift the rod out so less dropped fish

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Like I say I have been using them for 5 years almost weekly and never had a problem. The only way they will come out is if you push down on the butt. So don't fall onto or lean against your rods. I don't put rods into these holders while steaming. I have tubes on the cabin roof for that.

Good advice Ken. but sometimes when it's just me and SWMBO and ten rod holders between us, the temptation to use 3 or 4 rods each outweighs the number of hands we have.

I have a OSM 404 boat which is my baby, and I love it very much suit's my fishing :D easily transported great when sea or pike fishing, but now I am after buying 2 stainless steel flush mounted rod holders,

what I need to know is what are the rules I should abide by when fitting these to the boat? Position, angle and any other helpful hints.

All advise greatly accepted. B)

rules? there arn't any! just please yourself and experiment ,just leaning them between two pipe clips fixed to the rail rubs of the varnish and gives you a excuse to the mrs to buy nice shiney new rods ;)

hopefully any rod holder (whether boat or beach) doesn't contain plastic in any form ,i cannot see why this frail useless material is used anywhere (having replaced 75% my tripods components due to it failing) :(

its not good for the user but cheap for the maker

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hiya,

Like I say I have been using them for 5 years almost weekly and never had a problem. The only way they will come out is if you push down on the butt.

which is exactly what happens if the rod is not perfectly balance in the holder when a wave hits you beam on when at Anchor. :o

Davy

which is exactly what happens if the rod is not perfectly balance in the holder when a wave hits you beam on when at Anchor.

Well it don't happen to me mate. Mind you we went 17½ tons last lift out, so we don't bob around too much.

If the rod is not put in it perfectly it can fall out easily if the boat is hit by even a small wave.

That's a bit like saying if you don't put a screwdriver perfectly in the slot it's going to fall out the screw. Maybe you were not using them right. Too upright perhaps?

In all honesty we just drop the rods into the holders. They are not fiddly at all. Sometimes just the end of the butt in them.

This is the second boat I have had them on and I really believe they are the best you can get.

To solve the dropped fish, fish with just enough drag to hold then if you get a take your not putting as much pressure on the fish as you lift the rod out so less dropped fish

There's differences in our fishing. Bites are fast here. Average depth of water is less than 30ft often in 15 ft. With less line out the fish can feel resistance much easier.

You should experience a big tope in 8ft of water.

Hiya,

Well it don't happen to me mate. Mind you we went 17½ tons last lift out, so we don't bob around too much.

that will possibly have something to do with it but even at my 3 tons and 13' beam I still bobed about a lot less than a wee trailable boat.

That's a bit like saying if you don't put a screwdriver perfectly in the slot it's going to fall out the screw. Maybe you were not using them right. Too upright perhaps?

they were used exactly the same way as the ones shown ain you picture.

There's differences in our fishing. Bites are fast here. Average depth of water is less than 30ft often in 15 ft. With less line out the fish can feel resistance much easier.

I dont only fish in 400', I do fish in less than 30' with braid which as you know has no stretch so the bites are just as fast.

Davy