Question for our professional anglers

Newt

I'll go along with all you have said Budgie - especially the bit "Some clients are more likeable than others."

Any client that has been to lunch on my invitation and at my expence - is no longer 'just a client' (!)

Obviously there is a fine line that you have to draw when guiding, between friendship and business.

I only wish that I could afford to take some of my long term clients, that I have become good friends with, out for free - but unfortunately, like everybody else, I too have bills to pay.

[ 25. March 2004, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: charliebettell ]

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Charlie one and the same.Everyone calls me Budgie so I was a bit thrown by you calling me Steve!

As for Public Liability.The company I worked for was European Catfish Trips a long established and proffesionaly run outfit.We carried several insurances both in the UK and the various countries we worked in.As well as Public Liability some countries ie Spain require anglers and guides to have specific insurance cover.Why is insurance sales a by line of yours Charlie? ;)As for what constitutes full time proffesional guiding, the second part of my reply that I will be posting for Newt should give you an insight.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Right part two! dont want to get caught out again like last night.

Newt it does affect your own fishing.When based in France I had a lovely tributary of the main river flowing past the back of my caravan.Despite it having produced some big cats and big carp the bulk of my "spare time" fishing was just a bit of maggot bashing (sorry Newt thats a Brit term that means just general fishing for anything that comes along with a float rod and maggots)We (the guides) got right into having Bleak snatching matchs we got that serious we even all went out and brought special carbon whipps and rigs etc!much to the amusment of the guests and the frustration of our boss Luke.It was just a nice way of relaxing after the real work of catching big cats.When I do get back to my own serious fishing though I find my keeness and drive is once again renewed.

The only day I had "off" was a Saturday.This was the day the clients swopped over.On my day "off" I would clean my boat(s)service the outboards and car,clean and prepare the tackle,sort out the bait and clean the accomodation.It was also nice if there was enough time to do any personal admin and recce new stretchs.

It is a matter of pride that all of the equipment the client will use is in just as good a condition for the last customer of the year as it is for the first.In the early part of the season with all of the mud and rain this is some task.

I often think of guiding as a break from real hardcore fishing without being to far away as to miss it,if you see what I mean? :confused:

As said sometimes the pressure to produce fish is unbelievable.I once went 9 days without a fish for a client.I had got too the stage where I doubted everything I knew!Was so relieved when I broke the spell with two trebles.Most clients dont remember the amount of takes you get them (and they might miss) or the number of hook ups you get them (and they subsequently loose)the picture of them holding the much wanted treble is what they really want and is ultimately the measure of your services.

As you can see guiding in France was certainly full time.The hardest however was the years I was taking customers to the Ebro.The constant changing of licences and rules etc was easy enough to deal with,especially once I had made the effort to improve my Spanish.Catching them treble figure fish was even easier :cool:As I was with the clients 24 hours a day for 14 days I did allow my self the luxury of fishin g as well.But same as Charlie I would always give runs on my rods away untill all clients had caught.A lot harder doing this in Spain than France as any run could have been that 200 I had always wanted.I consoled myself that it would be nearly as good to be the first Brit guide to produce a proper 200 as it would be to catch it :rolleyes: Hardest part of Spain was stopping the guys getting dehydrated and sun burnt :D I even enjoyed the two day each way drive untill I had my first car break down that is.........

[ 25. March 2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

I want those clients to go home at the end of the day feeling like they have achieved their goal - that being to play a big pike to boatside.

those are my feelings exactly charlie which is why i do postpone trips but i also appreciate that it is diffrent for me as it is not my full time "profession", so i would (grudgingly) concede that maybe in that case i am, indeed not a professioal guide, however i have had no complaints as yet!!

i thinkbudgie has summed up the best how you can go but not fish. it is true that you lose a desire to a point to catch another big one when you have had a few. i have found this with both Pike and Carp (although never with zeds) but i am not when fishing one of these ultra competetive anglers that you get. i will be as chuffed for a mate to catch a biggie as i am for myself, most of the time!!!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

After all the trips I had done with friends to Spain and the first year taking customers (I used to do one two week trip every month from March to October)The two weeks back in the UK spent preparing for the next and resting)I had had only two car problems,a knakered alternator and a damaged exhaust.These had been quikly repaired and not a lot of time lost.I had always looked on my AA Five Star cover as the ace up my sleeve.The cars I used were always kept well serviced and were even modified with uprated cooling sysytems and suspension.With out going in to the long sorry list when I had my first proper break down the service I recieved from the AA was atrocious.The trip became a nightmare.Imagine three paying customers who have paid a lot of dough for the only couple of weeks they have off work sat there in your dead car whilst the AA are f---g you around with garages and hire cars etc.You are the main man and it is all down to you top sort it.Thats pressure!On all subsequent trips down the fear of a repeat break down was always in the back of my mind.One of the main reasons I stopped doing Spain and settled for the not so exciting but equally not so stressfull work in France.

Guiding is a great ocupation,you are doing somthing you love and sharing it with in general great people.It is hard work and there is a lot of pressure.You can make a good living out of it too but that dont really matter.The look on a customer/fellow anglers face when he catchs a fish of his dreams is what really matters.

When I meet customers for the first time I tell them that they have two options,I can do every thing for them and all they have to do is turn/stop turning the reel when I tell them or they can come fishing with me.There is a big difference.I dont care either way but I think most would agree they get more out of the second option.

Many customers become repeat customers and therefore friends.The ultimate compliment I ever recieved as a guide was when I asked why a group of clients still booked up with us each year despite by now having all their own gear and enough knowledge to go it alone.I was told its because they just liked comming fishing with us.

Well Ive rambled on a bit and its been a bit disjointed but I hope this gives you some answers Newt.Anything anyone wants to ask please do so.

The things that you have mentioned, like mint conditioned rod and reels ect throughout the year, are things people do not consider when taking a side view at what we do for a living Budgie.

Most people seem to think that guiding it is a fantastic job - with great money to be earnt! Yes, there is good money to be earnt, but there is also a lot of outlay!

Only today I have been down the tackle shop to order £1,200 worth of rods for the new river open season.

My Public Liability, which is a must if you are guiding from the bank or a boat, is £200 a year.

My mooring fee for the year £550.

My 'commercial' boat linence, another £180.

Plus I have many other expences that I could mention.

Guiding is not a bed of roses - it is a job that I take very serious.

I do not have much time for people that try to 'make out' that they are a 'professional' guide, but have little knowledge of watercraft, are very un-professional in the way they conduct themselves, or do not have Public Liability or any other insurances/licences that are a requirement of the local authority where they are 'acting' as a guide.

My previous post is not aimed at you Mark.

You have had the balls to say:-

"those are my feelings exactly charlie which is why i do postpone trips but i also appreciate that it is diffrent for me as it is not my full time "profession", so i would (grudgingly) concede that maybe in that case i am, indeed not a professioal guide, however i have had no complaints as yet!!"

There are one or two I could mention that honestly believe that they are 'professional' guides - but are so limited in their experience, it's often like watching robbery on the ocean waves (!)

[ 25. March 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: charliebettell ]

Gents - good info and thank you.

Sounds like an interesting life but I think I'll play chicken and stick with my day job and just fish for fun.

I do plan to bookmark this for the next youngster who comes on asking for a how-to for becoming a 'professional angler'. :)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President