Airbrushes

littlefeathers

Hello everyone and Happy New Year, sorry its a bit late but Paul and I have had terrible EBay.i.tus over the Christmas period :( and have only just recovered, although are bank balance is still suffering

Our last spend for a while is going to go on a airbrush (max £100) and I wondered if any of you had one, and which one would you recommend.

On reading what little info we have, we've decided we want a double action, gravity or top feed Airbrush with a fine-medium nozzle. I want to paint with acrylics (have I spelt that right :confused: ) and paul wants to paint with humbrol paints - we dont have a compressor. I read somewhere that a scuba tank will do - is this right. Obviously being able to obtain parts is another factor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mandy x :)

I don't think that a scuba tank is appropriate the paint will run underwater :D:D Seriously though you can buy compressed air cylinders (aerosol type things)but with a lot of use they can run out expensive. I would think that a scuba tank with an accurate valve and gauge should work well also a carbon dioxide cylinder like the ones they use in pubs for the beer would do the job. As both scuba and co2 tanks are highly compressed and you will be working at quite low pressures you must have suitable gauges and sensitive regulators as a rush of pressure might damage your airbrush and spray all and sundry.

It takes longer for the river to get to the sea than it does for a man to make an error.

Depends how much you plan to use it, but I saw a neat little set from Draper in our local hire shop that ran off cannisters for a mere £15 or so. I also heard that you could rig one of those up to an old tyre so you could pump it up yourself, but it might prove a tad cumbersome to be carting a spare wheel around to do finicky airbrush paint jobs!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Originally posted by Salar:

but it might prove a tad cumbersome to be carting a spare wheel around to do finicky airbrush paint jobs!

---------------------------------------------

I know some of us ladies have big handbags, but really, I think a spare tyre is pushing it . Thanks for the info thou, all greatly appreciated as ever.