Australia 2012 Report 1

Snatcher

My ozzie mate Ollie is a great fisherman and one of his aims this year is to catch a shark off the shore. With this in mind he picked me up at my daughters place in Freshwater and we headed off to Manly Lagoon to try and catch some mullet for livebait. We gave it about an hour without a fish but Ollie did manage to catch a duck !!!!! After this plan B came into operation - to buy some mackerel at the shop for his shark bait.

We parked up about the middle of Manly beach and started setting up our gear. I just had a spinning rod and intended to bottom fish using squid for bait. Ollie on the other hand set up his shark rod and using his surf board intended to paddle his bait out about 150m. Crazy guy.

IMG_0004.jpg

This is a picture of Ollie's shark bait ready to go.

IMG_0005-1.jpg

Here is a picture of Ollie with his surfboard. The guy in the background was fishing worm and picked up a few whiting.

IMG_0006p.jpg

I held Ollies rod and put the reel into free spool as he paddled the shark bait out. About 100m out he got overturned by a big wave but still managed to recover and paddled further out still. There were guys surfing about 100m either side of us. I was getting a bite every cast but could not manage a hook up so I dropped the hook size down from a 2/0 to a size 1 baitholder. This paid dividends as I managed to hook a bream on the next cast. A quick picture and back it went.

IMG_0007p.jpg

Ollie on the other hand was watching his rod with great anticipation,just waiting for that reel to go screaming off. It was getting dusk by this time and I hooked into a fish and it bit straight through my 15lb mono. Ollie reckoned it was probably a tailor biting me off and suggested I should use a 40lb mono trace. Ollie was spot on with what he said and after a couple of casts I did hook a small tailor,a new species for me so I was well chuffed.

IMG_0009.jpg

During my 2008 Australian trip I had managed to get 20 species. This tailor now made it 21. Ollies had no runs on his shark bait so as it started to rain we decided to call it a day. On the fishing front it had been a poor trip but I did enjoy the crack with Ollie in great surroundings. About a week ago my daughter had said that the shark alarm had been sounded on Manly beach and that the swimmers had got out of the water but most of the surfers had just continued !!!!!

I have quite a few more reports to write up so hope to add one every week or two.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a great time even without the sharks playing nice with your mate.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ollie went out on a board, with a large bait, into Shark infested waters? :o

Yes !!!!!!!! :o

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Ollie went out on a board, with a large bait, into Shark infested waters? :o

He is an Aussie ziggy they aint realy happy unless they are doing something of high risk likely to end in death or disfigurement

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: