Australia 2012 Report 2

Snatcher

The main species I dearly wanted to catch on this Australian trip was a kingfish. Back in 2008 my then ozzie fishing mentor Chris Tyler tried his best to get me one. I did manage to hook one but got bust off. Sadly Chris quite unexpectedly passed away last year so I wanted to catch one in his memory.

On this trip out Ollie told me that he would try his hardest to get me one. We set out in Ollies tinny from Sydney North Harbour and rowed the short distance out to where we were hoping to catch some squid. Live squid is the optimum kingfish bait. We set up shrimp rigs on our rods and drifted close inshore by Forty Baskets Beach. Ollie really is a top angler and managed to get six squid to the boat. All I managed to catch was one !!!!!

Picture1.jpg

The squid were carefully popped into a large bucket which had a portable aerator clamped to it. Ollie rowed us a bit further out and we tied up to a buoy. Ollie showed me how to rig up a live squid and we cast them out a short distance,hoping for some kingfish action.

Picture2.jpg

While the kingfish rods were out we tried to catch some yellowtail,also to use as livebait for the kingfish. Ollie crumbed some bread into the water and soon a shoal of yellowtail were under the boat. We baited up some very small hooks with pilchard and dropped them over the side. True to form Ollie caught five and I caught one. These also went into the aerated bucket. I was well chuffed as the yellowtail was a new species for me.

After a wait of about an hour a kingfish finally grabbed Ollies squid. What a scrap it gave Ollie,making several good runs before I managed to net it for him. After a couple of photos the fish was carefully returned to fight another day.

Picture3.jpg

The next two kingfish also fell to Ollies rod and these were also released. I was beginning to give up hope of getting my fish when a kingie eventually took my squid. The fish was not big but what a scrap it gave me on light gear. I had caught my kingfish and was well pleased. A quick photo and back it went.

Picture4.jpg

Ollie suggested trying livebaiting with yellowtail next and no sooner had he cast out then a bonito grabbed it. Once again another great scrap. He kept this fish as he was going to use it for shark at a later date.

Picture5.jpg

Before the end of the session he managed to catch another 3 bonito which he also kept for shark bait. For good measure he also caught two tailor which were returned. During this period I did not have a single bite !!!! Ollie is simply a magician.

Picture6.jpg

Well what a great day it had been. Fishing in a great location with a top angler/mate and catching that elusive kingfish. On the way back in we seen a hammerhead shark being caught by another boat. It looked about four feet long and what problems they had trying to unhook it.

John

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 1 month later...

I'm just amazed. When you've got the sort of fish that would have me heading for the dinner table, you're thinking about using it for bait for something even bigger :lol: