Little and often.......

Nutshell

Do it!!! I've always read about this in magazines and on here but I finally got round to giving it a proper go with my tumeric flavoured maggots (thanks to whoever suggested this the other day on here!) and I must say it worked wonders. The fishing took a while to get going but by the early afternoon the fish were going crazy! I could see the water literally bubbling and rippling whenever I threw in the maggots (10 or so) with every cast and with regularity.

I ended up catching the biggest perch I've ever caught AND the biggest roach I've ever caught! I've never weighed the small fish I've caught but they were both really 'chunky' and felt so much bigger compared to the rest of the roach and perch I've caught in the past. I'm not pretending I've broken any records here but I felt well chuffed!

Normally I just chuck in a handful every now again and I don't know why I've never done it in the past as it's not rocket science. It's just been pure laziness on my part!

The only down sides were a sore arm and yellow fingers! Definately worth it though :)

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Haha! "sore arm" - must've been a great session!

I'm sure you're right. It's hard to measure these things and be scientific, but my feeling is that flavourings really make a difference. Curry-flavoured prawns are always a favourite of mine (for fishing and for dinner)

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

That's great Nutshell.

A tip worth knowing is that when you have the feeding frenzy really going, then every so often try a bigger bait such as a cockle or lobworm or even a big bunch of maggots (say seven on a size 10 hook)a couple of feet to one side or beyond the area of action.

Bigger fish often lurk on the outside of the maggot storm and just pick off items from its edge.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond's advice re big ones is so true. I have been known to use a fish-finder and it has proven Vagabonds point so many times. So often I have motored my boat down a match length with the finder on side scan. Seems that all pole anglers fish at the same distance from the bank and all of 'em groundbait accordingly. The finder shows a very clear picture where the small stuff is congregating on the ground bait whilst a tad further out the big stuff is swimming. Those guys would be amazed if they saw it but it really does show up very clearly indeed. If only one was to lob a feeder out a meter further then I reckon they'd win with ease. Talk about sheep :D !

You guys should watch underwater carp fishing, i`ve just finished watching the first episode and it proves your point so much. Although its about carping the majority of the first hour is watching the smaller fish feed as it takes a while for the first carp to be caught.

He throws in a small pva bag about 1.5 inch long and small diameter with ground bait compact in one side and particles on the other. When the bag erupts immediately all the little fish are down at the ground bait powder nibbling away, they begin to waft the particle to the sides where the bigger fish begin to feed.

One of the most amazing things that can be seen is the "little and often" theory. At one point too much bait is introduced into the swim and it is possible to see that the fish have much more time to eat their food and therefore take the hook bait in slower, as there is less competition.

Anyways just letting you know although i`m sure most of you have seen it. Its very carp orientated i have to admit but definitely worth a watch for any keen angler.

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

Thanks for your tips lads. Very interesting and I'll definately be trying them out.

I've got a catapult but I need to work on my accuracy!

craynerd are you talking about the Korda videos/dvds? I haven't seen any of them but there's 3 of them isn't there? Which one were you talking about?

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Nutshell:

I've got a catapult but I need to work on my accuracy!

The closer in you fish, the easier it is to loose feed accurately

Have caught lots of better-than-average right under the rod tip - that's rods of 10-12' not poles.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

yep, korda underwater carping 1, the first one and on the first vedo.

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com