Pubs Closing

Used to regularly go to a pub for a natter with mates.

Then they introduced live music.

Leon, that was 50-odd years ago!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a non-smoker and if I have more than three whiskeys a year, it is unusual. BUT I DO go to the pub almost every weekend for a meal.

I was quite upset about something that happened last weekend. I was waiting for my food when this guy walked up to the bar and DEMANDED that the barmaid move some (smoking) patrons from the tables outside as there was "not enough room for me and my wife" The barmaid explained that they were patrons, enjoying a beer and waiting for some sandwiches, and were entitled to be there. He replied "but they are SMOKERS and as such should not be using the tables - it was OK in the Winter, but we PATRONS (I've never seen him there before!) should not have to put up with their smoke!!

Brenda had to restrain me as I wanted to get up and deck him!!

a woman complained i was smoking at a boot fair ,i told her to get a life it was a fooking field we were in not her house :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

it's the same everywhere you look , with pathetic silly little laws being introduced that 10-15 years ago would have been laughed out of court.

I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that there are no longer enough "proper jobs" for people to do. They've got to earn money somehow, so they do it either by persuading people to pay for goods and services they don't need, or by inventing and/or imposing new legislation.

It is a combination of prices and no longer being able to drive home after a few pints. Add taxi fares onto a few drinks and it gets very expensive to go out to a pub.

However, If it is the difference between a few Pubs closing and a drunk-driving death I'll take the Pub closures any day. With the price of fags, smokers can't afford to drink anyway :D

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Pubs have been closing around where I live for at least 8 years..and they are/were country pubs.

My younger brother has lost his house and the bank are after his pension fund to pay for his bankruptcy when his pub in South London went under. Not the only one in that area either.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just popped in for a nosey......is this another one of those smoke related threads , again? I hope so , it was great fun last time round.

No matter what is said , no matter what is proven , smoke (or the lack of it ) has nothing to do with the rise in pub closures , so the experts say.(huh!!!!)

I do remember having this exact same argument in a monumental thread not so long ago , with a lot of people stating that there would in fact be an increase in pub patrons due to the fact that they were now allowed to use their local without stinking of smoke. Whether it coincides with the credit crunch or not , the public places smoking ban hasn't helped one iota with the bar trade. It may even be the first nail in the coffin for them , as it's looking like it might be a long time before the economy starts to pick up.

Are we soon to become a nation of hermits , living in a soon to become 'sterile' environment where anything remotely bad for you is frowned upon? My my my , how quick this island has been turned on its head in such a short space of time.

Completely off topic but slightly relevant to the insanity that is the do-goody brigade......which may have caused the above

A new review / law towards killing someone in your car whilst on mobile phone / texting . The penalty has been raised to deter idiots from using a phone at the wheel , at long last. I was listening to the news on the radio this afternoon and they had this tw&t on from some sort of human rights / whatever solicitor and he was rather annoyed that the sentencing has gone up so much , stating that the death of a child weighing on the drivers mind should be enough of a deterrent to stop the man ever doing it again , he's very sorry for what he has done and has to live with it for the rest of his life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some middle aged git with a poxy degree has decided that he will defend such crap as this , it's the same everywhere you look , with pathetic silly little laws being introduced that 10-15 years ago would have been laughed out of court.

Sorry about that , right , back on topic.

I felt enraged about the same piece of news but for different reasons, There have been a few well documented cases of poeple causeing death and greivious injury whilst texting on or useing there phones, Throw the book at them I say But lets have a bit off ballance, firstly Intent!! I dought if there was the intent to Kill or maim when Numptys Phone rang and awnsering it could not be resisted stupid yes, but criminal? id say criminaly negligent, but not intentionaly criminal a big difference and sentanceing should reflect this.could the same thing be said for some Niar do well who walks the street with a kitchin Knife and takes the life of some poor youngster who had the ordacity to stand up against him, why the disparity in sentancing then.

Sorry to hi jack the thread guys rant over.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I don't smoke anymore and do my clothes not stinking of stale smoke after a session at the pub but its weird when you are all having a chat and a drink then everyone marches out for a smoke leaving me at the bar.

Can't wait for the summer :rolleyes: and I will stay outside anyway

Who cares if pubs close because their customers vote with their feet ?

Thats a risk all businesses take.

As others have said, the good businesses will always survive, the others go under.

Pubs/Breweries have priced themselves out of business, it has little to do with the smoking ban.

I don't notice a lot of Nightclubs closing.

This statement stretches the imagination a bit, "created a lot of full and part time employment".

Apart from the manager/owner, its usually just a few part time staff, most of who have daytime jobs anyway.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "