Cant get my head around it??

tetley

Hi there, im new to anglersnet and i am a very keen coarse fisherman, and mainly participate in matches around east anglia.

just lately though i have been thinking about the various tactics and methods available and sometimes wonder why some people opt for lighter tackel when you might as well use heavy rods to get the fish in quicker on matches.

Its all very well having a pole with light line and elastic, but wouldnt it be better to use a massive sea rod or something and heavy line that is hid in the weed to get the fish out with? surely this would be a better method when fishing close in. I mean when people go seafishing they swing ten pounders in, so why cant the same methods be adopted for match fishing.

This may sound very confusing for some but i hope someone can understand where i am coming from,

Why use light tackle when theres no need?

great site by the way!

thanks

Tetley

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt that, when floatfishing, line diameter affects the number of bites you get, so you should always use the lightest line that will cope with the fish you are catching. Apart from that point, there's also the fact that many small hooks have eyes that are too small for heavy lines, so you have to use light lines to be able to tie them.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

firstly when match fishing you are generally using small fine wire hooks which will straighten quite easily or rip out of the skin of a large fish if there is not an adequate shock absorber between rod or pole ie the use of fine tipped rods or pole elastic.yes you could put a size 20 elastic in your pole but you will bump more fish off your hook than youll land.

secondly an angler should take as much care of the fish he catches i.e not bullying or ripping hooks out of their mouths.remember that in sea fishing a caught fish will not be put back to fight another day it,ll end up on the dinner plate at home

I don't know where you are coming from,but to swing a 10.lber in, I Don't do sea fishin but

i dought that they swing um in, you say you take

part in matches use them tactics and you will

be pool fodder. The matchman of today has respect

for his catch, as most of the fishery owners have

rules about handling fish and these rules are stated before matches start, If i were you

i'd think again about you approach.

I assume you're just using the sea fishing illustration as an extreme example! I'm no match fisherman, but it fascinates me how most matchmen swear by small hooks and fine lines, whereas some other anglers swear by big baits. I once heard a talk by Bob James when he claimed ( I don't know if he was being totally literal) that he didn't have a smaller hook than a size 10 in his tackle bag - and he catches very good roach! I guess where there are carp around matchmen don't fish as fine as they used to, but on canals where it's mostly roach they still do.

Now I can see, in a team match, that you want to be sure of catching something so you don't let the team down. But as an outsider, if i was to fish a match, I'd put on a big hook and some luncheon meat in the hope of getting lucky with some chub, tench or carp. I'd accept that I might not catch anything, but if I fished maggot I KNOW I wouldn't win, but if I used big baits there would be just the possibility I'd hit lucky.

Come to think of it I'm ranting on, and this may be sheer lunacy, as I've never fished a match in my life! But I'd be interested to know if there are many matchmen around who believe in big baits.

john clarke

Hi From my point the fisheries that i use have a

hook limit of 14s, in all honesty with experance

you don't need large hooks,EG fished a match last

week, 0.13=4.12lb with a 20s b911 up in the water

on pellet with 12s elastic fish to 3lb+, No damage done to fish and played to the net with

caution. There is no need to bully fish in , let me hook you and drag you in do you like it,

Bullying causes ripped mouths, torn lips, i don't

like to see this on fish that i catch but do see it from fish caught before from the Butcher of an

angler before me.

Dave G:

Bullying causes ripped mouths, torn lips, i don't

like to see this on fish that i catch but do see it from fish caught before from the Butcher of an

angler before me.

Thanks for posting that - I wanted a match angler to say what I was thinking.

quote:

Originally posted by tetley:

I am a very keen coarse fisherman .... just lately though I have been thinking about the various tactics and methods available and sometimes wonder why some people opt for lighter tackle when you might as well use heavy rods to get the fish in quicker on matches.

Tetley

This has got to be a winedupp! Stick with the tea, Tetley :D

DG

Thankyou all for your various points, no this is not a windup, and Dave G, i wouldnt dream of bullying my fish in and i take every care in landing them.

The sea fishing thing is extreme measures. I was trying to ask if all this fine gear is nesasary. I love fishing fine, and obviously fishing is for the enjoyment, theres nothing i would rather see more than a light rod bent over with light line on, but im talking hyperthetical.

Would we be much better off using really heavy gear if the fish couldnt be harmed to get fish in quicker or would it not make that much difference say in a match.

eg would i get a 5lb carp in quicker using a sea rod, 30lb line, than say a lighter rod with 4lb line on. Would this heavier tackle be more beneficial if the crap couldnt see the line

Sorry if im sounding confusing, but i love angling and wouldnt want people thinking im a bad omen to the sport,