Bream feeder

Ken L

I've not watched it all but this might contain some stuff that's useful to someone. It covers quite a bit about rigs and methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoK_RfK0Nm4...;feature=g-vrec

One thing that's immediately apparent is the distance that the feeder will swing towards you if you maintain a tight line after splashdown.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not watched it all but this might contain some stuff that's useful to someone. It covers quite a bit about rigs and methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoK_RfK0Nm4...;feature=g-vrec

One thing that's immediately apparent is the distance that the feeder will swing towards you if you maintain a tight line after splashdown.

Its just very interesting watching the fish in the water around the bait. Whats most interesting to me is how the others don't seem that spooked when one picks up the hook bait and starts to get reeled in.

But also it shows just how little the spot where your bait is compare tho the expanse of the water, so getting your bait in the right spot is paramount!

All,

Watched it all (boring). I saw no evidence of nuisance fish or crays. It looked as though they had the "attractant" down pretty well as there were plenty of fish in the swim. Whatever they used as bait didn't seem to invoke much of a feeding response. Wonder why they didn't go to a more powerful "food source" like 70% fishmeal?

More than ever, I am convinced the use of a "feeder" is nonsense (unless you want a really big blob). A pack bait or overlay to the hook bait would reduce the potential "line bites" I noticed.

Phone

what stood out for me was the amount of time that the hook bait spent in the fishes mouth whilst the angler was unaware of it. Short of having a camera is there a better way to ensure good bite indication?

The other thing that struck me was the fact that worm and caster over a high visibility groundbait seemed to catch better than micro pellets and boilies.

to take Phones point I don't think that you can realistically say using feeders is nonsense but I am getting more and more interested in the techniques of overlaid ground bait or pack baits.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Phone,

As you have said previously your experience with bait fishing is very limited so to say feeders are useless is quite perplexing. Feeders over the years have caught more fish than any other method especially on rivers but stillwaters too.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

It's interesting how much more active the bream are than I would have imagined. My mental image of feeding bream is more like grazing cattle.

It's interesting how much more active the bream are than I would have imagined. My mental image of feeding bream is more like grazing cattle.

Strange you should say that. It's what I was thinking but I thought it was just me.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I saw this vid a while back and thought exactly the same. I was surprised how much they zipped around the swim, targetting individual baits rather than casually 'grazing'. The baiting he does probably accounts for some of that, but even so it was interesting. I've seen another video of a bream picking up a boilie on a bolt rig and sitting in mid water violently shaking its head for ages until the rig flew out, rather than just bolting off. Another interesting bit of footage.

One of the main things I took from this video is how ineffective feeder fishing with long hooklengths is, both in terms of rig efficiency and baiting.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Probably an impression gained from angling literature, though it could also be because when I've watched shoals of bream they haven't been actively feeding, just loafing about soaking up the sunshine. There was a clear, shallow canal I used to fish with a big shoal of slabs in it, and they would just aimlessly mooch about in plain sight during the daytime. I used to catch them in the evening on the pole, fishing bread flake close to features, but by then you couldn't see them any more.