Oi! That's OUR MP!

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slodger, if there is one person in this world that we can both trust then its Leon. He's brought it to our attention, thats good enough for me.

Terry Mansbridge is a man that I know and admire. Martin Salter is a good man, although I thought his reaction to the 'Collin's case was poor, is an angler who has done stacks for angling. The announcement is a press release, it is spin, but it is only reacting to material from and comments from the 'hunt' fraternity.

The CA is being played at its own game, good, long overdue.

[ 10. March 2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

No offence intended to Leon, Peter, however I'm interested to know where this alleged announcement has taken place. There's no mention on either the SAA's site, or indeed Mr Salter's. I'm not trying to make a case for the CAA, but as with the ACA debacle, there may well be two sides to this story. I mean is it the official CA 'line'? Or the vitriolic rantings of a few of their more radical hangers on?

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

There are those in society that are accustomed, one way or another, to getting their own way. Some are inclined to hoss their teddy bears out of the pram when they don't get it. But this time the boot is on the other foot!! Love it!!! A hole has been dug, and the CA has toppled into it, brillient!!

Peter Waller:

Newt, I hope that do we meet when you come over to the UK, the invite still stands to you and Jan.

I grew up on 'that' side of the fence, private school and all that, and whilst many of my friends, and business associates, are 'nobs,' I have to admit to prefering 'this' side of the rustic fence .

Peter - you are one of several folks we will absolutely be spending some time with.

Errr - if the US had that particular 'class division' thing I think I would have been on that side as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

slodger:

No offence intended to Leon, Peter, however I'm interested to know where this alleged announcement has taken place. There's no mention on either the SAA's site, or indeed Mr Salter's. I'm not trying to make a case for the CAA, but as with the ACA debacle, there may well be two sides to this story. I mean is it the official CA 'line'? Or the vitriolic rantings of a few of their more radical hangers on?

Hmm.

Well, here (pasted below) is 'their' mission statement that someone has just posted on a sea-trout (a fish that I have caught a LOT of over the years, both here and abroad, at little cost - except for the effort - and in excellent company, then - not that long ago - the more recent stuff, at least...) fishing forum.

Interesting. "Intimidation.."

Hmm.

From whom?

Oh yes. I see, now -- the usual suspects.

That's all right then.

Hmm...

Is it?

Yet, with a certain type of friend (or friends), I have found (regrettably), you really don't need enemies...

Confusing.

Really confusing for a "dreamy hippie" like me.

Anyway, over to the CA mission statement:

Our campaign for angling

Wednesday, 08 December 2004

We are campaigning for the interests and rights of anglers and angling across the whole spectrum, from coarse fishing to game angling and sea fishing.

The Countryside Alliance's mission with this campaign is to preserve this beautiful sport for generations to come. We aim to promote the huge contribution that angling and anglers make to the health, beauty, and prosperity of Britain's waterways. We also seek to protect angling and anglers from the increasing propaganda, threats and intimidation coming from animal rights groups. Especially, we aim to inspire young people to take up angling and thus to ensure its future contribution to our culture and countryside.

[ 10. March 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I see. So it's b******t conjured up by those that oppose the CA is it? Not very helpful really to someone, like myself, who's still trying to get an accurate picture of the good or bad my allegiance to the CA might bring to angling.

I don't see the point in petty point scoring myself. I'll take this episode as a another tick in the CA's 'cons' box.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Class divisions, Newt, the bane of England! So bl##dy pointless, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

If you are from 'that' side of the fence had we better not call you 'Sir'?

[ 10. March 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

slodger:

I see. So it's b******t conjured up by those that oppose the CA is it? Not very helpful really to someone, like myself, who's still trying to get an accurate picture of the good or bad my allegiance to the CA might bring to angling.

I don't see the point in petty point scoring myself. I'll take this episode as a another tick in the CA's 'cons' box.

Yes. Let's all be modern-day Gentlemen Fishers and Brothers of The Angle now, and write it all off as just some very big 'con'. Or, better, perhaps, a mere "blip". You know? Just a strand - or insignificant section, maybe - of the rich tapestry that comprises life in a little country, frequently wee-ed on but still wanting to do it to others, somewhere off the coast of Europe, with rather too much glorious history etc...

I have some flies to tie.

[ 10. March 2005, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.