Wingham Fish-In Catch Reports 2012

Steve Burke

May i ask what swim you where in Maddog as i am looking for Perch and hopefully you may have found a hot spot!!

well done by the way!

Thankyou for your Kind username for me 'Si'. It sounds a bit girlie like but hey ho i am up for it!

Budgie....I can't think of anyone who would dream of such a name change for you. Is Muttley around by any chance?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what can one say that has not already been said. The original plan was to go to the fish in to help out then have a session straight after but a phone call from Steve earlier in the week changed everything when he said that a space was available as someone had unfortunately had to drop out and would I like to fish. Does a Donkey love strawberries, I was over the moon and whilst the fishing was difficult, it turned out to be one of the best times I have had since since I have been going to Wingham. A great crowd of people and it was good to meet and put faces to forum names. Blueben in the swim next door was cracking company throughout the event and fished really hard for a Perch but was thwarted by ravenous Pike. I do wish that I had been able to tape Budgies hilarious tale of the imagined near 8lb Eel though.

The planting of the Wisteria in remembrance of Jan was both thoughtful and very moving. It was clear that she was held in high esteem by all the people that knew her.

On the fishing front a few beeps had me out by my rods at around 4-15 on Sunday morning which resulted in a run at 4-30 and a female Tench of 7-09.

post-8110-1337731515_thumb.jpg

These fellows put in an appearance early Monday morning

post-8110-1337732247_thumb.jpg

Nothing after that except for 2 dropped runs early Monday morning and losing the baiting needle that Steve had loaned me after I had forgotten to bring mine.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who caught got PBs and sincere thanks to everyone involved behind the scenes who work so hard to make Wingham such a special place.

Thanks guys

Still got my wet eyes on but cannot get through life without meeting steve Budgie and Dales again.

How when and where I don't yet know but if Dales could join Budgie up the fens for a zander weekend then that would be a start. I know headless would be so good to meet for you both being a really nice guy and a good zander angler we could all have a great weekend.

And at the very latest the next wingham fish in will have my name down just incase its not too full.

Hopefully win the lottery between now and then.

kindest regards

John

Sorry i missed you John . I was hoping to meet you at one of the BBQ's but no doubt a Fens trip looks on the cards so see you then mate! :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Now that nearly all the reports/thanks are in it's time for me to add my thanks.

Firstly Steve Campbell, who as usual turned up on Saturday morning and provided bacon sarnies at his own expense to the early arrivals. This was despite having to disappear shortly afterwards for the rest of the weekend for a family commitment.

Secondly Clan Groombridge. They were a great help to Peggy, leaving her to concentrate on the BBQ, and always volunteering for little jobs . (Peggy wants to book TJ for next year!) I'd like to single out Sam in particular, who not only cleaned the clubhouse but helped with outside work on the run up to the event. Thanks to the weather that really did go to the wire this year, and without her we may not have been ready in time.

Thirdly my wife. Peggy doesn't fish but, despite being exhausted before the event, literally burnt the midnight oil for several nights doing a lot of the office work including printing and laminating innumerable photos, swim sheets, peg numbers and name badges. Then of course she had to all the shopping for the BBQ, not to mention the BBQ itself, that has now as someone put it become legendary.

Fourthly the bailiffs and their helpers including Stuart, Kyle and Luke. What many don't realise is that the bailiffs are unpaid volunteers and most not in good health. They take a tremendous pride in Wingham and without them it wouldn't be the place it is. You just wouldn't believe the amount of effort they put in, even when they can barely walk. Without them there certainly wouldn't be a Fish-In and you wouldn't be reading this!

It's a shame that the change in the weather put paid to the fabulous recent catches continuing. It was of course fishing well even the day before when both Si and Budgie had 40lb+ commons. And the day after the sun comes out and temperatures soar!

Let's hope that the weather is kinder next year. The dates for your diary are Sat 18th to Mon 20th May. I'll be taking bookings as usual from somewhere around the beginning of May.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I'm afraid my tench photograph was horribly out of focus - all of the test shots holding a bag of groundbait were perfect, but I mustn't have been in the right position.

outoffocustench.jpg

Well, it wasn't by any means the best fishing Wingham has to offer. We were horribly unlucky with the conditions, and I found it particularly disappointing after I had been given such a great swim, but I still had a great weekend. It's such a beautiful place to spend time and as always it was great to catch up with friends from AN. Also as always every effort was made to make us feel like welcome guests - many thanks to Peggy and Steve, bailiffs, helpers, members and everyone who made the event so enjoyable.

That tench was caught in a period on Saturday evening when it started to look as if I was going to do well, with lots of evidence of fish about. I checked the camera after taking that and putting the tench back, and thought "bugger, never mind, I'll have another one in no time" :(

I have to say that I have lots of fantastic venues I fish that are as secluded and hardly fished just like wingham.

They are difficult venues hence the privacy.

They are large with unknown specimens and sometimes offer parking close to swims.

Mostly no anglers close by.

Wingham still has a hold on my heart after one weekend.

Steve please cast a pagan spell to release me as us old lovers of whats real need something to believe in.

I just new it would influence me for a long time and not just fishing.

John

That tench was caught in a period on Saturday evening when it started to look as if I was going to do well......

Oooo I remember that short period, the sort of conditions where you're convinced that you'll become a tench angling god. Not four hours later the NE wind came and brought the rain with it, I was in the bivvy desperately hoping that I didn't get a bite.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yep, I was getting occasional single beeps on the alarms, there were tench rolling in my swim and I'd just landed one, I was sure I was in for a few. :(