Fishing in the Mildenhall area.

Cranfield

Does anyone have any details of fishing in the Mildenhall area ?

Websites, or names and addresses, would be appreciated.

I have a US friend with a relative soon to be stationed there and he is asking for some information.

Thanks for your help.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Brian,

Mildenhall is right on the edge of Fenland.

Close to Littleport on the Gt Ouse, The River Lark, The Little Ouse. Thetford and The Nunnery carp fishery are only about 20 miles.

What type of fishing is he interested in?

Several small trout fisheries in the area plus he's not that far from Grafham.

Horse racing at Newmarket.

Even Norwich and the Norfolk broads aren't that far away.

I have a mate who lives in Mildenhall village, I'll have a word with him for you.

Colin

I live in Bury St Edmunds, which is about 10 miles from mildenhall. There is loads of fishing to choose from. There are some pit at barton mills which are good for pleasure fishing, there is also paradise lakes in lakenheath. I would suggest buying the bury angling club ticket as there are loads of waters in bury st edmunds and also thetford and there is some great stretch's of river. Go into any local tackle shop and they will point you in the right direction. Hope this Helps

Thanks for all the help.

I would normally advise him to contct the local Tackle Shops, but I also wanted some specific locations to pass on.

Cranfield:

Thanks for all the help.

I would normally advise him to contct the local Tackle Shops, but I also wanted some specific locations to pass on.

Now, specific locations, as we all know, can be difficult...

If your 'friend' is a trout fisherman, though, tell him to contact / join The Wild Trout Trust (I WAS a very early member), then play the part of "an American in England". Those WTT guys might just have leads to some interesting fishing.

Not what you know, but WHO you know - as ever...

(Sadly)

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

This has become a totally illogical obsession to find the information that Cranfield wants!! There are numerous sites on the web, just tap in Mildenhall on your search engine, but nothing on angling in the area. I have now discovered that the Gun & Rod Club is a country & western club! Surprised at that. I had been to table top sales at the club and just thought that their anglers and shooters had really got their act together with their very own social club!! I have searched high and low, nothing! So come on all you computer geeks, find something!!

I can only say that the River Lark runs through Mildenhall and I have spent many a happy hour lure fishing it for pike. It's a lovely river. I believe that there are zander in there too but I have never seen one.

I don't know what clubs are involved. No one has ever asked me for a ticket and I have not seen any notices.

Cross Drove (or Dove) commercial fishiery is around there somewhere.

Most of the rivers in the area are club controlled and contain MONSTER DACE.

An hours drive anyway from thetford opens up almost all of norfolk, suffolk, cambs and the fens.

john wilsons Guide to fishing in norfolk and suffolk is a must.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Once again I appreciate the comments.

Peter, I did a Google search without much useful informationm appearing.

Then I waded through loads of Internet Directories of Fishing Tackle Shops, looking for some in the area, so that I could telephone them for info.

Unfortunately, these Directories require you to know the name of the Shop you are seeking.

I blame the Suffolk Tourist Board.