baits for shy barbel

this is in assosciation with my topic i posted concerning the open season times. i am planning to go and catch my p.b barbel on the very first day of the season, after school in the afternoon(if i can get to a spot!)the barbel in this small stream(they go up there to spawn)run from about half a pound to about 8lb. trouble is the bigger ones have seen so many anglers' baits, esspecially meat, they have become the most wary fish in there.i have a feeling they might not respond to these modern baits, although its worth a go, so i was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions as to what other 'traditional' or natural baits i could use?

Worms or a old favourite of mine is...a size 10 hook with about 10 magorts on,fished over a light bed of hemp till they stat feeding.Then feed as nesercery

[ 13. June 2005, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: chris mc ]

Id go with a mass particle approach, a la Stef Horak. If you wanted the particle approach.

Bit late now (or is it?) but a bit of prebaiting works wonders, particularly if you want the barbel to develope a taste for your boilies.

thanks for the replys guys. any other ideas will be greatly recieved. i'm doing my homework see, in more ways than just fishing, school work as well! the idea of maggots is a good one but there is lots of tiny silverfish to contend with in this particular stream, as with any other i shoud imagine.any ideas on how to get around that?

[ 13. June 2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: mr. bean ]

I fish for barbel in the Great Ouse, they're very shy, easily spooked, fish and have seen every bait going. I've found a couple of fairly small pellets on a hair rig fished over a light bed of mixed-size pellet works well, with pellet paste moulded over the pellets if the water's up and coloured. Meat, corn and large pellets all have very poor success and the large numbers of smaller fish and crayfish prevent a maggot/caster/worm approach.

HTH

Will

I have found flavouring my luncheon meat gave me the edge where I fish. 10mm cubes do the trick for me while others seem to use huge lumps and struggle.

Going to be giving 10mm halibut pellets this season but will always carry the luncheon meat lol.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

I should have added that the most critical thing I've found is to use a running ledger. The fish (on the Ouse at least) seem to gently pluck at the bait before taking it properly and reject it if too much resistance is felt.

Will

The only barbel I've ever caught deliberately was one I saw roll on a chub fishing trip to Troop on the Dorset Stour. It took whitebait.

Rather than repeat myself click on search at the top right of the page and type in "whitebait". Also see this article: http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve02.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net