British made fishing gear?

eltonone

I am thinking of investing in a new rod and fixed spool reel, suitable for tackling river chub/barbel.

There are loads of options, but I'm feeling the need to support British manufacuring. However, I am struggling to find much in the way of British Rod and/or Reel manufacturers. (Hardys is the only one I've found so far).

Could anyone advise?

Thanks in advnce

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't Hardy's rods made in China these days? Does anyone in the UK roll their own blanks any more?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Aren't Hardy's rods made in China these days? Does anyone in the UK roll their own blanks any more?

see ayjays reply

clicky >>> Harrison Rods

tricast i think still make there own

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

eltonone,

It's such a small world. I think of Harrison as an "English" rod maker. I suspect bits and bobs of even a Harrison come from somewhere else. To get an "all English" rod your going to have to cut a stick on the river bank. For example, even one of a kind custom rod makers use cork and hardware from here or there - on and on.

I think your goal is admirable.

Phone

Century Composites, up in Washington, Tyne & Wear, make some brilliant rods, though they are usually recognised more for sea fishing / distance casting, and top-end carp rods.

Some of their blanks are still made in Washington, and thier lighter carp offerings would make a spectacular barbel rod - some of the blanks are slim beyong belief!

David Norwich make their own blanks. Peter mentioned Century. There's Zziplex too – they're all British.

I believe the top end Daiwa and Hardy rods still use British-made blanks, although the majority of their ranges don't.

I'm pretty sure there are no British-made fixed spool reels though. I wonder what the last ones made over here were? Anyone?

David Norwich make their own blanks. Peter mentioned Century. There's Zziplex too – they're all British.

I believe the top end Daiwa and Hardy rods still use British-made blanks, although the majority of their ranges don't.

I'm pretty sure there are no British-made fixed spool reels though. I wonder what the last ones made over here were? Anyone?

Cue Chesters

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

David Norwich make their own blanks. Peter mentioned Century. There's Zziplex too – they're all British.

intrepid? the last brit ones were about 1980 but they had been importing offshore versions since gladding took over

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks all of you for taking the trouble to reply. The situation is not as bad as I first thought in terms of rod manufacturers, there seem to be a few left at least. I will have a look at them all and hopefully will be able to find something that suits.

Reel manufacturers though? Intrpid were British as suggested - I still have an Intrepid 'Prince Regent' which I have had since I was at school (35 years ago). I have just checked and it does say 'made in England' on the handle.