Pheasant plucking!

John S

Thanks for that Lid and Les Middy :)

I'm not planning on doing the deed until Saturday afternoon, and then only after a pint or four of Dutch Courage (or in this case, Irish Guinness).

Skinning sounds a bit easier than plucking, but since I'm hoping to use the feathers for fly-tying afterwards, plucking is the only alternative I'm afraid (though I suppose I could just remove the feathers from the skin afterwards).

Thanks for the link Judy, added that one to my favourites :)

I've been told he can get pheasants fairly regular (legally), so it looks like I'm going to be an expert plucker in no time :rolleyes:

Take care

[ 15. January 2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

I've been told he can get pheasants fairly regular (legally), so it looks like I'm going to be an expert plucker in no time

Just in case you didn't know, the pheasant shooting season ends on 31 Jan.

A chap called John forgot his lunch one day, so his wife rang up his work to tell him. The chap who answered said :-

" John? He's a Pheasant Plucker isn't he?"

to which his beloved replied :-

" I don't know what he's like at work, but he's a miserable ******* at home!" :D

John S:

I was expecting it to be already plucked and with its' insides neatly stored in a plastic bag.... In my dreams!

Mine too! My neighbor has a gun dog and offered me 2 pheasants. I too thought they'd be nicely prepared for me. Didn't even know I had to hang them in the garage for a few days. No hooks etc. Ended up hanging them of my bike's handle bars.

Ended up in the bin. I'll gut a fish but that's as far as it goes.

My farming grandfather always gave a brace of whole pheasants to people such as the bank manager, doctor, etc. at Christmas. I wonder what they did with them? I know some of the recipients asked their butchers to deal with them.

Lid:

My farming grandfather always gave a brace of whole pheasants to people such as the bank manager, doctor, etc. at Christmas. I wonder what they did with them? I know some of the recipients asked their butchers to deal with them.

Never gutted a pheasant, a few chickens in my time (and the odd rabbit).

Be ready for the smell!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

though I suppose I could just remove the feathers from the skin afterwards

John - you might try that once. I doubt you'd ever want to do it the second time.

Skinning might be easier but I agree with those who prefer to cook the bird with feathers off and skin on.

It really isn't a major undertaking and your bird will be lots easier than the smaller ones.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

John, first thing to do with a gifted pheasant is to look at its feet! I know they say never look a gift horse in the mouth, but its a good idea to know how tough your pheasant is gonna be!

Young (tender) birds have short blunt spurs (the bit of the foot that points back'ards). Old (tough) birds have long sharp spurs.

Young birds can be roasted, older birds are better casseroled.

When I shot pheasants, I kept the young ones. The older ones were "neighbour's birds" ie those to give away

Bon appetit

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...