Pheasant plucking!

John S

Bin it and go to KFC :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Excallibur :D

Thanks for the warning Leon. I was planning on doing the deed in the kitchen but I think I'll go out in the garden shed instead, otherwise Elton will be missing a Mod whilst I go camping for a week or two in an oxygen tent

Newt, I guess that is the messy way of getting the feathers out.... I'll do it the traditional way instead :)

Well, I've got my 4-pack of super-strength lager for dutch courage and a pair of rubber gloves. I'm all ready for tomorrow afternoon now :(

Take care

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Vagabonds comments re toughness reminds me of the advice I was given regarding cooking an old rabbit......"first skin your rabbit and then get a small axe and chop the rabbit into portions.

Put the rabbit and the axe in a large pot and boil for two hours. After this time remove the rabbit and chuck it in the waste bin...the axe should now be well cooked :D

Den

[ 16. January 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Talking of Pheasant pluckers, I found myself in a pub of the same name in Tenerife in may.

With a name like that, you just know what you are going to get. Landlord singing while the proper singer turned up, pub quiz, a raffle. Me and Joan with a workmate and his wife only won them BOTH. :D The mandatory bottle of gin and bacardi. We met up the following day and got plastered, then went for a beer :D . It's still not my kind of pub though.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

If your first pheasant looks a bit messy... dont worry.

The best way to cook it for me is to casserole it. It also helps to avoid the shot.

"Muddlin' along"

MrWiggly:

I'm offering 10/4 the Pheasant wins !!! :D

You lose

John S 1 - Pheasant 0 :D:P

Take care

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Lid:

Did it go OK John? Have you eaten it yet?

Yep :)

I took some of the better feathers off for fly-tying, then skinned it instead of trying to pluck the whole thing. Maybe next time....

Haven't eaten it yet though. I've decided to do a Pheasant au Vin, once I can no longer remember pulling its' guts out :vomit: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And in case you're wondering, yes I did have a ruddy good drink beforehand. You didn't think I was going to go in there sober, did you? :D

Thanks again for all your help everyone :)

Take care

John S