Luncheon Meat

lee-h

Hi there

What size should the luncheon meat be for carp fishing.

The carp dont seem to be picking it up? I dont know wether they are too big, the size i am using is about 1" Cube

The average size carp in the lake I am fishing is around 10-16lb

Thanks for any help

Lee

A 1" cube is certainly not too large for a carp to eat.

Are you doing any loose feeding along with your hookbait?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Spot on size for carp. You could try trimming off the corners which I think makes it a more acceptable shape for a fish to gobble up (my theory is based around the general lack of cube shapes in a lake)

Or try flavouring it, it usually helps to pull them in.

Good luck with it. :)

Our chief weapon is surprise

Thanks for the advice, No i was putting it in lake alone with no feed. Was talking to some people at the lake and they said try it in pva bag with ground bait and some smalled sized luncheon meat.

Would you agree with this?

Regards

Lee

Certainly worth a try. I've had luck coating the cubes in curry powder or chili powder too. Carp seem to enjoy the taste and the coating makes sure the cubes won't melt the PVA before I cast it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the advice, No i was putting it in lake alone with no feed. Was talking to some people at the lake and they said try it in pva bag with ground bait and some smalled sized luncheon meat.

Regards

Lee

If they avoid cubes try cylindrical?

Also, why not try popup or floating meat? Here's how to make it happen.

If you are going to use PVA bags don't use large ones and add a few micro Hallibut pellets to the meat.

Also, why not try popup or floating meat? Here's how to make it happen.

I wanna go fish with those guys! Proper nutters, them. :D Great tip too :thumbs:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Those guys are me and my Brother... ;)

Consider yourselves fully endorsed :clap:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Guest Chris Perch

Regards

Lee

Yes agree with the bag method it works quite well with hemp dosed with salt this way the wet hemp will go in a bag fine also add a few cubes in the bag.

1" is about right for doubles I would agree about trimming off the corners a bit though it looks more natural.

I would also pult a little hemp in the area around the bag if its in range or if not try recasting a few bags in the area to get them grubbing about (bit like feeder fishing)

If they have been hammered on meat tigers can work extremely well at this time of year.

Good luck M8