Camping / Fishing Loch Awe

Shuggiebhoy

Hi, Im heading up to Loch Awe in a few weeks time and was hoping someone will have an answer to a few questions I have. I have never fished the loch before and it seems such a big expanse of water to try to locate a good area. I will be taking my newly purchased car up there and Im a bit wary of leaving it parked by the side of the road somewhere. Does anyone know of a decent place to park and have a decent area for camping nearby? Oh aye...and somewhere where my friend and I might have a chance of catching a wee trout or two would be ideal too. It would be nice to fish a secluded area, nothing worse than pulling up to your favourite spot and finding it like Butlins.

My friend has never really fished before and i was hoping to give him a wide variety of experience. I'll be taking my fly rods up and also a couple of bait rods too, we will be going after the trout but i'd also like to have a go at the pike. Does this mean i need a trout permit and pike permit or does the one ticket cover both?

As we will be camping and it does tend to get a bit chilly in Scotland it would be ideal for a wee campfire, you never know, might even get to cook my catch (wishful thinking). What are the policies on campfires up there? are they allowed near the shoreline? Ive heard that a fire is a half decent deterrent for the midges as well.

Any info greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Shuggiebhoy

I dont think camping and lighting fires on the banks is all that welcomed and i dont think there is any camp sites on the banks of Loch Awe, but will stand corrected. Nearest camp sites ive seen is down near the Connel Bridge.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

We took a lovely modern lodge for a week on Awe a couple of years ago, Port Sanachen (sorry if that is spelled wrongly) on the Eastern shore. I didn't need to light campfires, however walks along the shore revealed to remains of plenty of small fires, so maybe its what happens. I wouldn't have though that overcrowding like Butlins would be likley, we hardly saw anyone else, wonderful! I caught a few 'wee trout' too, some 'weeish' Pike and lots of perch.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• 1 year later...