Is it illegal?

davedave

You will need a valid rod licence, as you are using a rod: I had a run in with an EA idiot a few years back when I was plumbing around a gravel pit -it was in season but because I was only plumbing and not intending to fish I didn't have my licence with me - fortunately I was with a mate who had his with him which satisfied said idiot as we were only using the one rod between us.

Edit: I would make sure you take no hooks with you - it would be very hard to prove you were fishing if you have none.

do they have to prove anything? ,if their swear you threw the hooks away who would the courts believe ,you or a public servant? same with the police

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, thanks guys :thumbs:

I was looking at a swim I wanted to fish today, but it's completely overgrown with nettles, what's the legality of going into a farmers field with a strimmer and cutting a nice path to the swim I want to fish? :rolleyes:

Seems to me that you are asking for trouble taking a rod and line down to the river. What if people see you doing it, assume you are fishing and all go down at the weekend. As for cutting swims out, apart from the obvious path to a swim that may look as if it had been fished to passers by, one of the reasons for a close sesason was to protect nesting birds etc. What if there was a warblers nest in those nettles?

Stay to the footpaths and leave your rod at home. How long does it take you to plumb a swim on a river for goodness sake?

I't illegal to fish for coarse fish in the closed season. If you are not fishing, it's not illegal.

You can plumb the depth, you can prebait, you can wave a rod around and you can stand naked in the water slapping your own arse (or that of a consenting partner) as much as you like and there's nothing the EA can do about it because you're not fishing - the old Bill might want a word about the naked arse slapping though.

So long as you are clearly not fishing, there should be no problem.

Just to be on the safe side though, I probably wouldn't go depth finding and prebaiting at the same time and I certainly wouldn't be carrying any hooks or other tackle other than the depth finding gear.

One note, If you are depth finding and recording your findings over several days, Use the EA's river level data and make a note of the height of the river at your location against your findings.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

davedave,

Appearently you CANNOT.

"""...a licence gives you the right to use a fishing rod and line, but does not give you a right to fish. You must have the permission of the owner or tenant of the fishing rights before starting to fish."""

A rod and line is all that is mentioned - nothing about hooks. If you have a rod and a line and are near the water you have to have a license. If the line is in the water (in the closed season) you are, by definition, "fishing" - 2,500 smackers fine. If you don't have permission as stated it is another 2,500 smackers.

Phone

Guest redfin2

Beware in clearing any bank side vegetation it can be counter productive, all fish like cover, you might get stung a few time but...

Well meaning club members c/w chainsaws ruined a couple of good barbel swims on my local river, give a man a chainsaw is a dangerous ploy and he will stop at nothing to prove his manhood :)

If I were you I wouldn't venture anywhere near a river with a rod yet, it would incense too many of those who are getting really twitchy, pre-baiting a river can pay off however but some would say that it is just not cricket to do so.

Otherwise you can stick with the carp puddles where no such of the above rules apply :D But rivers are the real deal.

go with or without hooks

how likely are you to be stopped and are you realt bothered anyway

just say you do not speak the lingo

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Now,

Eels were mentioned on the EA website. I didn't pay attention but they, EA, was clear. If you have a rod with line (with or without hooks) and are near the water you better have permission and a rod license.

For sure, I don't understand your regulations.

Phone

Guest redfin2
Now,

Eels were mentioned on the EA website. I didn't pay attention but they, EA, was clear. If you have a rod with line (with or without hooks) and are near the water you better have permission and a rod license.

For sure, I don't understand your regulations.

Phone

You need permission to fish and I assume Dave was going to a club water, you cannot coarse fish on inland rivers until the 16th June, you can fish for eels if the club allows, but you have to use worms, and the hook has to be a minimum size/gape.

Old timers used to fish with wool,no hook and jig as a lure. The eels teeth snag in the wool. Some clubs do/have use this eel loop hole to fish,'match style' worm only, in fact my own club Birmingham AA have done so, but the outcry was too much, and has stopped.

FWIW Phone a single rod licence covers all the country, a few years back there were rod licenses for each Water region.

Azreal are you for real?

Never a good idea to encourage poaching on a Angling Forum, do you practice what you preach? <_<

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the licence is called officially a Rod Licence, then any rod regardless of hooks, bait, boilies, ground bait, etc, if you have a rod in the water, technically you should also have a licence. The little kid with a stick and a piece of string still had to have a rod licence and got a thick ear on a 70's canal path. My childhood memories are full of happy times!

Linda