Attracting Carp!?

lee-h

Hi there

I am having trouble on getting bites with carp. my bit alarm sounds for 2 seconds then stops. I have had this happen about 6 times today fishing.

My friend says I need to attract more carp in.

I am using a strawberry boily with a pop up, I am putting the rig in a pva bag, along with 8mm pellets.

Is there any other ideas or what people recommend to put in the pva bag to attract the carp or any other fishing methods to attract the carp.

Thank you for any help.

Lee

lee-h,

Count, one thousand one: one thousand two, out loud. That's about 2 seconds. Something is wrong with your rig - NO QUESTION about it. A carp that runs for two seconds is either hooked itself or the hook/rig is not proper. I'd guess, from experience, your hook is somehow in conflict with good contact.

Describe your end tackle.

Be sure to detail your hook and hook size.

You've attracted carp. You just can't catch them.

Phone

Better yet - a detailed photo of your rig. I spent months missing fish when I first learned to tie a hair rig since I had a very small goof (hooklength exiting the hook eye on the wrong side) that made the hook roll the wrong way (away from the mouth) when I got a run and tried to set the hook.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A few simple things.

1. Your hook is not sharp enough or the wrong size.

2. Your weight is not heavy enough, you need resistance to set the hook.

3. Your line is not tight, fix this by a simple very slow reel back until you feel resistance.

4. Your hair maybe too long or incorrectly positioned thus allowing the fish to feel the hook.

5. They may just not be feeding and you are getting line strikes.

6. Your bait may be too big.

As Newt has said upload a pic of your rig.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris Perch
A few simple things.

1. Your hook is not sharp enough or the wrong size.

2. Your weight is not heavy enough, you need resistance to set the hook.

3. Your line is not tight, fix this by a simple very slow reel back until you feel resistance.

4. Your hair maybe too long or incorrectly positioned thus allowing the fish to feel the hook.

5. They may just not be feeding and you are getting line strikes.

6. Your bait may be too big.

As Newt has said upload a pic of your rig.

Agree with these things also I tend to use a shorter hooklength with bags (4-5" max) and smaller baits plastic corn trimmed down pop ups or single whole pop ups generally something similar to whats in the bag with 6mm pellets a 16mm pop up or bottom bait max.

Also critically balanced hook baits work well with bags as they can suck the whole lot in easily>

Hope this helps.